GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! New to this site. Long time vehicle enthusiast light mechanic skills.
Recently installed the Diablo sport intune i3 on my 16 silverado.
Using the Preset 93 octane tune running 93 octane gas. It ran great for a little while(Didn't Note the install date).... so its been a few months.
Recently noticed a light rough idle sometimes very minimal.
Talked with my Mechanic while he ran computer diagnostics on it. This was a live reader feed, Not a check engine reader " Nothing showing wrong on read out "
Suggested i replace plugs,wires and coils to low grade performance parts. This isn't a race truck. Daily Driver just looking for better performance.
Called Diablo sport directly as was told " That the tuner is made to work with factory parts "....
Also note the guy was pretty much an ******* about it....
Obviously i intend to go with what my mechanic recommended.
With that i am looking for some suggestions as to which way to go on a light duty performance upgrade kit if possible.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
you changed the tune on your truck and it worked good.. then after some time the truck has an issue ..so you need to change the tune to OEM then if the truck sucks on running , you have to look up the failures.. issue a gas pressure failure ..

purchase a scan gauge tool that will give you the diagnostics on how the sensors are indicating the engines operation . MAF/MAP/gas press /O2 sensors / fuel ratios etc............
electrical GM engine failures ..drive it with the scan gauge diagnostic tool ..when the engine runs wrong.
then go to the tuner forum and many will give you the info on your 2016 GM truck ..throw out the diagnostic info ..then you will get a good amount of info on your trucks engines operation. mess..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you changed the tune on your truck and it worked good.. then after some time the truck has an issue ..so you need to change the tune to OEM then if the truck sucks on running , you have to look up the failures.. issue a gas pressure failure ..

purchase a scan gauge tool that will give you the diagnostics on how the sensors are indicating the engines operation . MAF/MAP/gas press /O2 sensors / fuel ratios etc............
electrical GM engine failures ..drive it with the scan gauge diagnostic tool ..when the engine runs wrong.
then go to the tuner forum and many will give you the info on your 2016 GM truck ..throw out the diagnostic info ..then you will get a good amount of info on your trucks engines operation. mess..

Thank you for the info! Obviously it will be a work in progress seeing that it takes time to collect long term data in order to make appropriate adjustments. At this point being put on a live computer diag reader and it showing no issues and being within the tolerance parameters on all fronts. ie sensors,timing, flows etc.it seems to be only a nuisance. Also i will add that the mechanic mentioned the fact that tuning the truck to the performance tune allows for a higher fuel mixture and having factory ignition parts still in play that doing the low grade upgrade on that end might help. His opinion is that the motor is dirty recommending a top end clean out due to residual fuel build up. Also i will add that the truck has now 83,000 miles on it and is all the original equipment other then the tuner.
If you do happen to have any recommendations on a low grade performance tune up build i would much appreciate it. As of now i am looking into the MSD factory equivalent as an upgrade, however there seems to be no such spark plug under this brand... At least not that i found at this point.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,012 Posts
I think Pete meant TBI. 😉

Reactions: PlaywithTBI

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think Pete meant TBI. 😉
Yeah, I'm usually stuck in the late 80's and early 90's but, I do have some limited experience in late model systems, LOL. Sorry for the confusion, I meant Gas Direct Injection (GDI) where the intake valves don't get any fuel and cooling from TBI/MPFI, all of the fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber so, carbon deposits have a tendency (around 80K+/- miles) to build up on the valves and stems interfering with air flow thus causing rough idle and poor mileage. Seafoam has a system for cleaning the valves but, FWIU the dealership can do a better job. Some shops will even pull the intake manifold and media blast them. HTH 🤞

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,012 Posts
Wow did I completely miss that yours is a 2016. So sorry.

Reactions: PlaywithTBI
1 - 8 of 8 Posts