GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, hoping some of you gm wizards might be able to help me move forward on the gauge issue im having. I have a 1985 Chev C10 pickup, 5.7L 350 2WD dual tank.

The gas gauge hasnt worked in a while, the charge indicator gauge never worked, the oil pressure gauge, temp and speedometer work fine.
Today I made some progress after exposing the cluster board, engine running, using an old school voltage indicator pen that clips to the frame with a small alligator clip.
Here is the results:
Charge indicator gauge has no response when applying the voltage indicator (VI) to either of the 2 back prongs, and the VI bulb did not glow
Gas gauge goes to 1/4 tank when touching one of the 3 prongs, while it lies immobile at 3oclock (past full) when touching the other 2 prongs, and VI bulb glowed at all 3 prongs
Oil and temp gauge both went to their highest reading while touching one of the prongs and sat at their normal level with contact to the other 2 prongs, VI bulb glowed at all 3 prongs.

I know this means something, what.. im not sure.. could the wiring of the charge indicator be shorted because no voltage reaches the gauge, and the gas gauge has voltage so maybe it's the fuel sender?

All input appreciated!

·
Registered
16,019 Posts
You need to use a meter, the light tester are very low resistance and impact the voltage readiness too much
A meter, especially a digital meter, add no load to the available voltage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts