GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing the differential fluid soon and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, comments or thoughts that might be useful.

·
1,552 Posts
One thing I like to do is remove the fill plug before draining (same thing applies to transfer cases and other things that have a separate fill plug). It would be real irritating to get it drained and then find out that the fill plug is seized/stripped and is going to take a great deal of effort to get filled.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
use the red RTV! just did mine last week

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
Get some of the anti-grind fluid stuff. It comes in this decent-sized tube. It's techincally for posi-traction and like differentials, but it will help quiet the gears down most any differential, and also condition them for longer life etc. It took that tube of stuff, and 2 or 3 more containers of gear oil to fill my diff. Also, one of those fill-hoses you can get at autozone or the like are real handy. And of course, be forewarned, new gear oil is some of the foulest smelling things in the world. Oddly enough, old used gear oil doesn't smell too bad...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I had a really bad cold the week so I thought hmmm cant smell anything so...dif fluid change this week!

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
preferably get the real gasget for the diff. They do exist! I got mine from the local AutoZone with no troubles whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
And of course, be forewarned, new gear oil is some of the foulest smelling things in the world. Oddly enough, old used gear oil doesn't smell too bad...
Yes it smells like boiled a$$. Don't get any on anything you plan on keeping...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts