GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Tahoe 2WD 5.3 Flex
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am not sure what they are called but I have 2 things on my truck that I either want to remove all together or replace. See pics.

1. Can these door guards be removed then buffed /waxed for a paint only siding? If I remove it and it’s stained can I get these new and add them back.

2. On my rear quarter panels at bottom there is a clear decal and I don’t know why it was there. Has anyone else seen these and can / how do I remove them and buff the just paint?

Attachments

·
Registered
16,019 Posts
You can "saw" them off with a strong nylon string. Think dental floss, only stronger.
When removed, there will be some glue residue left behind.
Lots of products will remove it

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,740 Posts
This works pretty well to get rid of the residue once it’s off.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Font Audio equipment

Reactions: thegawd and RayVoy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks!! I managed to find some good Ytube vids on it showing same things you shared.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
the weird "tape" is probably a clear adhesive "scotch guard." this area may be prone to being hit by rocks which would start the "rusting" process.

Font Gas Cylinder Liquid Circle

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,423 Posts
I didn't see the picture of the clear tape originally, but now I do. I agree with Al. We had a truck with this on it behind the rear wheels and below the trim line. We got it on a used truck that way, so I'm not sure if it's factory on the work trucks or not.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the truck new from factory but it could have been added by dealer under a work truck order request. I want to remove it and will seek a procedure for removing it. It appears to be very very adhered and may need a heat gun, etc.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
careful with a heat gun, they can get pretty hot but will definitely work. I used a hair dryer to remove these kinds of things and a plastic scraper with some acetone, alcohol or lacquer thinner to remove all the adhesive. be forewarned that these may harm the paint if you leave it on too long...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok will do. I purchased the season wheel to remove the adhesive under my door guards so maybe that will also work for this 3M tape. It might peel off if I can get the corner up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts