GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all just kind of venting called chevy my speedometer quit at 90000. i never got any notice from chevy about the issue found out myself about the class action recall. tried to tell chevy this all i got was sorry but its over the limits for warranty repair and not to call them about it again!! wow very good customer service i told them i m not asking for full replacement but if they could help me out. cause dealer want big bucks to repair . NOTHING !!!. oh well just wanted to get that out. so does anyone know of a place in mass or new england area that i can bring cluster to. that a good repair shop? seen a few online but hate to mail my cluster if i dont have to. thanks oh ya it is 04 tahoe. thats being punished for braking after warranty :grrrrrr:

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Theres a pop-up add on this site for d-dinstruments.com. Becareful with cheap e-bay repair shops. There known for using used or discontinued parts. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I live in Mass. What part are you from? But wow thats low for a dealer to do that. You gotta wounder how they stay in buisness if there like that. You would think they would atleast point you in the right direction. Id be just as mad.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Did the dealer give you any idea what was wrong with your speedo when they told you the price to fix it? Was it the stepper motor? If so & if you have any mechanical aptitude you might be able to fix it yourself with the thread that 99HEARTBEAT (aka MIKE) has here on GMTC.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
hey all just kind of venting called chevy my speedometer quit at 90000. i never got any notice from chevy about the issue found out myself about the class action recall. tried to tell chevy this all i got was sorry but its over the limits for warranty repair and not to call them about it again!! wow very good customer service i told them i m not asking for full replacement but if they could help me out. cause dealer want big bucks to repair . NOTHING !!!. oh well just wanted to get that out. so does anyone know of a place in mass or new england area that i can bring cluster to. that a good repair shop? seen a few online but hate to mail my cluster if i dont have to. thanks oh ya it is 04 tahoe. thats being punished for braking after warranty :grrrrrr:
Generally a letter goes out to owners that GM has on file, so if your a second or third owner your out of luck. Whats big bucks to repair exactly? You may be better off buying a new cluster if the cost of the repair is similar.

I dont think your being punished..everything worked right before it breaks....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes its the stepper motors so i think ill just fix it myself and trade in for ford!! ive been a long time gm owner but this bout with cust "service" really ticked me off. just the fact they just quoted me the warrant terms and told not to bother them again was to rude to ignore. I have owned a couple of fords in my time, there was a recall on a explorer i was 3rd owner of, they tracked me down sent a notice, found closest dealer and change timing chain in under 4 hours before i even had a problem!! thank you GM for ruining my long time faith in your products

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
yes its the stepper motors so i think ill just fix it myself and trade in for ford!! ive been a long time gm owner but this bout with cust "service" really ticked me off. just the fact they just quoted me the warrant terms and told not to bother them again was to rude to ignore. I have owned a couple of fords in my time, there was a recall on a explorer i was 3rd owner of, they tracked me down sent a notice, found closest dealer and change timing chain in under 4 hours before i even had a problem!! thank you GM for ruining my long time faith in your products
Well,

If your going to get a ford why fix it....just trade it in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i know sstoner911 guess its just my way to show them if they would of at least offered me a 3 dollar part they could of saved a customer. ya know!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Did you have a case with customer assistance? What was your case number? Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
yea i know sstoner911 guess its just my way to show them if they would of at least offered me a 3 dollar part they could of saved a customer. ya know!
So you are going to trade a V8 SUV when gas is sky high over GM not 'giving' you a $3 part? Sometimes you just have to pull up your big boy pants and play the cards you are delt and just keep on rolling. I have owned many trucks and all of them GM and everything that has gone wrong before the 36k mark was fixed no questions asked. I had somethings go wrong after that and if the dealer did not want to "good will" the work then I paid to have it fixed or chose not to. Dont really see what trading it in on a Ford would really do. Good luck in the future.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
So you are going to trade a V8 SUV when gas is sky high over GM not 'giving' you a $3 part? Sometimes you just have to pull up your big boy pants and play the cards you are delt and just keep on rolling. I have owned many trucks and all of them GM and everything that has gone wrong before the 36k mark was fixed no questions asked. I had somethings go wrong after that and if the dealer did not want to "good will" the work then I paid to have it fixed or chose not to. Dont really see what trading it in on a Ford would really do. Good luck in the future.
"big boy pants" lol Alston, you remind me of Caddie :)

Mike042, if you trade your truck in for a Ford you're just going to be back in the same boat when these issues arise with it. Did you ever look up Mike 99'HEARTBEATS thread on replacing stepper motors? It's a step by step procedure that you could follow & possibly fix yourself. If you trade it in for a Ford, you're going to lose a lot in depreciation, & be paying a lot of interest, all over a $5.00 part.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wish I could afford to get a new truck, instead of fixing a $5.00 part.

This thread makes no sense. I have things on my truck that need to be fixed. But all of the little things end up being cheaper than just selling and buying a "different" truck. Fix the problem, and move on with your day.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
ok, that's too funny. yeah, people make emotional decsions about things that don't matter all that much. I mean, I spend more on coffee and energy drinks in a week than it costs to fix this problem.

now, it is too bad that it went out at 90k and he didn't know about it. (He should have joined up here earlier and asked if there were any known issues!) But GM and no company can cover things forever. What, going to cover a part to 500k miles? At some point they have to cut it off and it's just the owners responsibility to get stuff fixed when it fails.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think some people are missing the point here. GM customer service treated him like crap. Not the dealership, but the car company. They won't fix things for free when they are out of warrenty, but a good company will try to lead you in the right direction and not tell you to go screw yourself. I don't know about the rest of the country, but Fords keep there value better than Chevys here in Utah. I did buy a Chevy SUV because I can't afford an Excursion diesel. Now that I have my Suburban, I love it. I will always buy American trucks. They're better than the foreign ones and they're made in Canada and Mexico.lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have samething.
I even told them while under warrenty it was jerky comming back down to zero and they ignored it said was normal...HUH
then I found out about recall after I was out of warrenty and now speed is useless always pegged at 190KM/h

Guess I will get new motors
Its crap like that and I have had numerous other chevy service issues over the years that deters me
from buying Chevy any more.
I no longer go to dealer for service seems they are all kids and through parts at it instead of
diagnosing the issue
The real mechanics seem to have their own shops.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
was sorry but its over the limits for warranty repair and not to call them about it again!! "

First off I don't think anyone from GM Customer service would say that. All the calls are recorded and that person would be fired on the spot..First off you go to the Dealer Service Mang If they don't help then you call the Dist rep, If no help then the GM 800# and talk to them Nicely.. If it is over the Warr time then they will tell you. After that you go to a site like this and ask around for help..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts