GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend while towing my 4500# travel trailer I found that the brakes on the trailer were draging. I corrected this problem at the campground and after I got home I checked the trailer and all was well. Then I dicided that I would check the truck. I jacked up the truck and all 4 tires don't spin very well, I could not get a full turn out the the tire by giving it a spin with my hand. Is this normal?

Thanks

Star2004
2004 Silverado 2500 4x4

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, a little initial drag is normal, assuming the brakes are functioning properly.

With sliding caliper disc brakes, there are no "return spring" as with drum brakes. When you release pedal pressure the dynamic pad (the piston side) is retracted slightly, but the static pad (fixed to the caliper) doesn't move until it's "pushed" away by the disc's rotation.

For you to have hand tested for wheel rotation, the brakes were applied, but the truck hasn't moved, since. So, the calipers haven't returned to the "run" position. In actual driving situations, there is a lot more than hand effort causing the calipers to slide away from rotor contact.

Problems arise when the anchor bolts get crudded-up and the calipers are no longer free to slide. New seals for the caliper bolts are about $20 + installation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts