GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just wanted to share my experience with Duplicolor's Spray on Truck Bed Coating. This stuff is GREAT. From light duty hauling by a hobbier to a more heavy duty contrator this stuff holds up very well. Now as everyone knows, this stuff is not as good as Rhino or Line-X. If you can shell out the 450 bucks for the spray liner by all means do so it's great, but if your like me and on a budget this stuff will work. I think I spent about 75 bucks and a whole lot of elbow grease. This can be a great weekend project for you and you son or anyone else. So here's my experience.

Step 1: Prep, this is the MOST IMPORTANT STEP. Fail at this and your whole project will fail. As with any painting, the prep decides the final product. I spent 10+ hours on sanding the bed and taping. If you love working on your rig, like so many of us do, this isn't so bad. For some they might stop reading right here. If you're in for the long haul, read on. The entire bed and tailgate needs to be ruffed up. So might say I went above and beyond but I say it was just right. I used a random orbit sander with I wanna say 120 grit sandpaper over every surface I could fit it. Now don't think your getting off easy because there's alot of grooves that require many hours of sanding BY HAND.

Step 2: Paint. Now this is the easy part. After sanding and making sure you get every single inch of space ruffed up so that nothing is shiny, if you want a smoother texture, hit it with a tac cloth. If you don't mind some random bumps just wipe it down. Tape off everything you don't want the liner on. Bed caps, Bolts, etc.. I used the Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating in the Aresol cans. You'll need at least 5-8 Cans depending on your bed size. Buy a couple extra because the more coats, the thicker and longer it will last. I think I used 3 or 4 coats. Make sure to spray with good even strokes and get in every little corner.

Step 3: Enjoy. Your done that's it. 75 bucks and the bed will look brand new. Make sure you hose it down the next day because their will be a slight black residue the first day. If you have any questions about the prep or application just ask.

This is what the Bed looked like after it was sanded.

Here is the finished product. Looks like new!

Here's a corner shot. Nice smooth color.

Finally a close up of the texture.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I used that stuff in my truck as a coating under my drop in liner so the paint under would not rust.... I guess its holding up ok I havnt really looked at it since I did it but I did not prep nearly as well as you did cuz I just wanted a coating under the drop in. Also at the landscape company I worked at we used it but again did not prep as well as you did. It held up for a little while but not so good anymore. I guess its all in the prep

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pete95Sierra I used that stuff in my truck as a coating under my drop in liner so the paint under would not rust.... I guess its holding up ok I havnt really looked at it since I did it but I did not prep nearly as well as you did cuz I just wanted a coating under the drop in. Also at the landscape company I worked at we used it but again did not prep as well as you did. It held up for a little while but not so good anymore. I guess its all in the prep
Deff a good idea to put it down before your drop in. I work in construction and it held up great throwing compressors, lumber, ladders and such. Once or Twice I'd Shove the metal brake in at an angle and it would leave a small mark from the 75 pounds of sharp edges but as soon as I would get home a 2 second spray and it was better then new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
spray on bedliner

[FONT=&quot]I have been spraying QWIK Liner and find the product excellent. The ease of the product to work with and low odor is wonderful. QWIK Liner is everything it says it is! It’s fast. QWIK Liner can be applied as fast as 1 hour from start to finish so customer satisfaction is very good, this included prep. Customers don't have to leave there vehicle over night they can pick it up the same day.

:lol: [/FONT]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now I'd say that is a great job! Looks really good. I'd like to try it, but I have never been good with patience and this looks like you do need to take your time. Wish I were closer, I'd pay you to do mine.
Nice looking truck too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Different colors?!

Do they make the spray on liner in different colors? I think it'd be sweet to go with a two tone bed!

·
Registered
886 Posts
My dad and I did the Herculiner on his truck and it turned out really good except for a few problem areas where the prep work wasn't good enough. Make sure and spend extra time getting the area ready for application, it doesn't stick very well to clearcoat!! Yours looks really good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey guys, not to bash on someone's post, but I've done two trucks in the past 13 months myself. One with the Duplicolor Kit and one with Herculiner. The Herculiner stuff is WAY better than Duplicolor's kit.

Again, no offense to the guy who started this post- I think his job (on a Ford truck) looked great, and was a big improvement, but in comparing the two, the Herculiner is worth a few extra $$$. Much more grippy and lasts much longer. I prepped both trucks equally well, and the Duplicolor stuff chipped and flaked pretty soon after. It was much better than what I had in my old truck, but the Herculier in my '04 Chevy is holding up very well.

When I did my truck bed with Herculiner, I bought some Duplicolor bed liner to do the rear, wheel-wells. The coating in the wheel wells is already chipping. I will be updating the wheel well's with Herculiner as soon as the weather warms.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice to have different opinions. I usually do alot of research before I do stuff like that. The blue collar opinion proves to be the most reliable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts