GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new car for quite a while, and one thing a lot of people have been telling me is that you should buy from America for a cheap price and have it shipped to Canada for a grand. I've heard that cars over there (for old and used) go around nearly $2000, but are in great shape. Whereas those same cars in Canada are nearly $6000. Although it seems like a great deal, do you think it's good to ship it for a grand? What it there's a hitch and fixing needed to be done? Do I try to get insurance?

Has anybody bought cars from America and had a good run with them?

·
Registered
475 Posts
A used car may be cheaper in the US.....You still have to clear customs, pay the HST and other fees.....I guess if you could save some money, it might be worth it....but a lot more hassle.

As for warranty, used car warranties aren't worth poop anyways

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A used car may be cheaper in the US.....You still have to clear customs, pay the HST and other fees.....I guess if you could save some money, it might be worth it....but a lot more hassle.

As for warranty, used car warranties aren't worth poop anyways
How much would you guess the customs would be if you tried to bring a car over? Does it depend on the price of the car? I've been looking at Kijiji and the deals are great, but all the additional fees are a HUGE turn-off. Americans have it lucky, haha.

·
Registered
16,416 Posts
There are no "customs" fees, only HST (or GST and provincial sales tax), NAFTA did away with import customs fees.

You do need to have the vehicle inspected and certified to operate in Canada as a Canadian owned vehicle (for example, it must have Daytime Running Lights that come on with the key.

And, you may have to pay a brokerage fee.

But look, don't trust us to tell you the truth, go the the Canadian Customs web page and look for yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I don't think vehicles are 1/3 of the price .. maybe 4/5th I would believe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen plenty of the ads on Kijiji, albeit they might be beat up. Some of the listings are crazy compared to what's going on in my province. It's a pretty big difference in price.

·
Registered
416 Posts
When you buy a new car from the USA they will not ship it to Canada. Cars or Trucks coming of the line for Canada are shipped with a NIVIS, and without this you can''t get the vehicle registered in Canada. Check this out first before buying a car from the US. Good luck Red

·
Registered
16,416 Posts
New cars that are to be sold in Canada, are built to Canadian Federal regulations.
Used US cars can be purchased in the US and shipped to Canada. They will only get as far as the boarder. At that point, they must be certified to meet Canadian used vehicle import requirements. When these conditions are reached, the vehicle is released to the Canadian owner.
Remember, when comparing Canadian and US prices, the Canadian dollar is only worth 85 cents US.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I was working at Wolfe Chevrolet in 2008 when a customer come to see the manager, he had bought a new caddy in the US and had it drop shipped to Vancouver but he could not get it registered as it didn't come with with a NVIS (new vehicle identification system), this document is needed for registering any new car. He called GM Canada and they said this doc is produced at the assembly plant for units that are sent to Canada and they couldn't help him.The story goes on but long and short was he sold it back to the US dealer. When I was at a training seminar GM trainers bought that issue up and we were told that GM USA is different from GM Canada and the cost of selling cars in Canada is more expensive than the US. Eric

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
my truck here in Canada is from the U.S. im not sure where but other than one spot on the rear passenger side nothing is rotted at all. well how did my truck end up here then? did something change or is it just different for used vehicles? are motorcycles different? my buddy drove across the border with a uhaul trailer, bought a bike, paid hst or whatever and fixed it up, passed a safety and on the road no problem. he didnt have to fix it at the border or anything.... I know people bring used vehicles up here all the time away from the rust belt. what's the proper process? I love my truck and really happy its from the U.S. any vehicles up here the same age driven through winters without undercoating will have rotted spots.

thanks
Al

·
Registered
16,416 Posts
Used vehicles are treated differently than new ones. A used vehicle must meet Canadian safety requirements. If it's 26 years old, or older, there are no requirements.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Gm Dealers buy used cars and trucks that are just a few years old so they can qualify for the Optimum Used Car program. Were almost all the repairs are covered by GM. Then they go on the lot, So only go to Dealers that have the Optimum Used Car program. ---Eric- Marry Christmas all

·
Registered
416 Posts
Also if you go in looking for a car that they don't have, if you talk to the manager about what car you want. They will get it for you with a small deposit that is refundable after you look at the car ( do not forget to Carfax, check it out very carefully.Thanks Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts