GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a buddy the other day ragging on me saying I had too much chrome on the truck. When is a lot of chrome too much? So far I have:

- Chrome mirrors
- Chrome door handles
- Chrome gas lid
- Chrome tail light covers
- Chrome cargo light
- Chrome tailgate accents (I HATE THESE!! Whoever had the truck before me put them.)
- Chrome side skirt
- Chrome step bar

I am also wanting to add a billet grille, would that be over the top? I'm not really a flashy guy so this might not be the look I'm going for but I still want my truck to stand out. What do you think, should I add, or take off anything? Thanks.

truck3.jpg truck1.jpg truck2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
you forgot the Chrome Bug shield...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
It's all in what you like, for me I don't like the taillight covers or the gas doors. Chrome looks good if not overdone. I just removed my chrome grille and bug shield, not because I don't like them but because I wanted a change. I chose chrome wheels because personally I don't like black wheels, it's all down to opinion. If your happy with it that's all that matters. The thing about the tailgate "accents", I'm guessing they were put on to cover the holes left by removing the factory tailgate spoiler, if it were my truck I'd put the spoiler back on.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It's all in what you like, for me I don't like the taillight covers or the gas doors. Chrome looks good if not overdone. I just removed my chrome grille and bug shield, not because I don't like them but because I wanted a change. I chose chrome wheels because personally I don't like black wheels, it's all down to opinion. If your happy with it that's all that matters. The thing about the tailgate "accents", I'm guessing they were put on to cover the holes left by removing the factory tailgate spoiler, if it were my truck I'd put the spoiler back on.
I completely agree with Adam. The volume of chrome on one's truck is a matter of opinion. To tell you the truth, though, after reading your post I thought the chrome was going to be way more over the top than it actually was when I got to the pictures. Personally, I would remove the tail light covers, cargo light cover, and tailgate accents. When looking at your truck from the back, your rear bumper and toolbox already create a heavy chrome look. The rest is too much (imo).

Adam also has a great point on those tailgate accents, though. They're probably covering up those holes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would definitely try to fix the tailgate accents, but like already said they probably are covering holes. As for the chrome, the majority of it is reasonable and not overdone IMO. But I wouldn't add much more you're getting close to the chrome limit. But whatever you do, do NOT add those hideous auto zone front fender vents!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
It looks good to me other than the gas cap, and bed accents... Those chevies looked good with a nice mix of chrome and black, especially when done in red!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I think thats a personl thing. It's your truck, you pay for it, make it however you like. If you want it pink, then paint it pink. If you want chrome , than chrome it. Its YOUR truck, not your buddies. Theres trucks on here that I don't care for, but its there trucks and I'm sure theres alot of people that don't care for my truck, but it's MY truck. Also what does your buddy drive?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think thats a personl thing. It's your truck, you pay for it, make it however you like. If you want it pink, then paint it pink. If you want chrome , than chrome it. Its YOUR truck, not your buddies. Theres trucks on here that I don't care for, but its there trucks and I'm sure theres alot of people that don't care for my truck, but it's MY truck. Also what does your buddy drive?
Good point, his buddy probably drives a Cummins Dodge with 2 big stacks poking out the bed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies guys, and Adam you were right, there are holes from where the spoiler was removed. I might put it back on but then again I'm not sure the black factory spoiler really goes with the rest of my truck now seeing how its mostly chrome lol.

And my buddy drives an old beat up ford explorer. He was probably just jealous!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys, and Adam you were right, there are holes from where the spoiler was removed. I might put it back on but then again I'm not sure the black factory spoiler really goes with the rest of my truck now seeing how its mostly chrome lol.

And my buddy drives an old beat up ford explorer. He was probably just jealous!
Ford, Dodge it's all the same thing, LOL.

I think if you ditch the tailight covers, gas door and get some black bed caps then the factory spoiler will look good. I think the mix of chrome and black pieces can look good if done properly. I would lose the door molding too.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It's all in what you like - let your buddy drive his exploder and wish.

Personally, I don't like polishing it all. My Mustang is blatenly free of chrome accessories. Smoothies and the air cleaner lid was all I was up for. In answer to your question:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wow, who drives that the terminator from T2?

·
Registered
902 Posts
ha kerry gets M3. but yeah man too much chrome can make your truck look tacky. id lose the tail gate crap, gas door, and light covers......the side moldings might come off later.
its best to take it one at a time and see what you do and dont like cus its your truck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts