GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a grill guard for my 04 1500 Z71. It was very easy to install but even when driving down the highway I can see it vibrating. I had one that was similar on my Trailblazer before I traded it in and it never did this. I was wondering if this is just a problem I am going to have to live with or can I get something to stop it. It's not damaging the truck at all but it is a distraction while driving. I took it off until I can think of a way to make it stop.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i got the got rhino version and i found i had to put a support brace actually two new 3" longer bolts to attach the upper frame just on top of the bumper ... what I used was 1" thick nylon washers from home depot to pickup the slack and the vibration was gone on mine and also re-tightened the main bolts on the bottom of the grill where it's attached to the bottom of the bumper

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Almost every grill guard that attaches to the bumper vibrates.
The best way to stop the vibration is to engineer attaching points directly to the frame. This is a common problem in the engineering of grill guards, by attaching to the bumper they're easier and cheaper to manufacture and easier to bolt on the vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the one I have is attached to the frame on the bottom. I think the weak point is the brackets used to attach it to the top of the bumper under the top cap for it. I have tried almost everything to make it stop. Bigger bolts helped some. I may just stick with the bull bar that I put back on. It's amazing, when I have nothing on the front other cars cut me off all the time and when I have the guard on there, no one dares to. I guess they figure if I crash into them instead of slamming on the brakes it will do more damage to them than to me.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Actually the one I have is attached to the frame on the bottom. I think the weak point is the brackets used to attach it to the top of the bumper under the top cap for it. I have tried almost everything to make it stop. Bigger bolts helped some. I may just stick with the bull bar that I put back on. It's amazing, when I have nothing on the front other cars cut me off all the time and when I have the guard on there, no one dares to. I guess they figure if I crash into them instead of slamming on the brakes it will do more damage to them than to me.
LOL. I used to have an NRA bumper sticker on a car I drove ... people quit tailgating me. ;-)

·
Registered
118 Posts
mine used to be tight with no vibration at all, but i started to hit alot of stuff with it for fun (trash cans,baskets,cones) and after plowing all of this stuff it vibrates a little now, i have never tried to re-tighten it yet cause im lazy so i dont know if i broke something or its just loose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts