GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Suburban -- electronic locks -- the drivers side door lock is tripped and I cannot shut my door. Is there a quick way to rectify the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Unlock the door with the lever, not the switch.

Then stick a screwdriver in where the pin goes when the door is closed.

Now pull up on the door handle and push the screwdriver in towards the truck.

It should open the catch and you should be able to close the door.

Reactions: unplugged

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Thats what we are here for.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
get your check book warmed up

I just got rid of my 99 Burb, but not untill I replaced all the door lock actuaters. Pretty $, lease had to fix before turn in. Unfortunatly Chevy mechanic said a problem in that year.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I just got rid of my 99 Burb, but not untill I replaced all the door lock actuaters. Pretty $, lease had to fix before turn in. Unfortunatly Chevy mechanic said a problem in that year.
You should have asked us, replacing lock solenoids are easy and fairly cheap.

Now days they even have a little door for access to the solenoids on the front doors. Easy fix. Now back doors you do have to take the door pad off to replace them, but hell that’s a lot easier than having to pull all four door pads off.

ACDelco Part # 22071947

Not sure of the price of the part but it has got to be a lot cheaper to do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I wish I did

When I had the locks fixed it was before I found this great site! Now if I have issues you can be sure I will ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a rear door in my '96 burb that sometimes simply does not respond to the lock/unlock switch on either front door. Am I looking at a solenoid issue here?

If so, is there a cheapo fix that I can use like some other vehicle make owners do that is sometimes called the "foil fix" (using a piece of aluminum foil on the solenoid)?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have a rear door in my '96 burb that sometimes simply does not respond to the lock/unlock switch on either front door. Am I looking at a solenoid issue here?

If so, is there a cheapo fix that I can use like some other vehicle make owners do that is sometimes called the "foil fix" (using a piece of aluminum foil on the solenoid)?
If non of the locks work it’s a fuse, maybe.

If it’s just one door could be a lot of things.

First get a helper to push the lock button while you are at the back door and listen for the solenoid. If you hear the solenoid then it’s a rod has come loose or broken.

If you don’t hear the solenoid then pull the access plate off the door side and look inside to see if it’s come unplugged, (not likely) if not unplug the wire going to the solenoid and put a 12 volt test light on it and have your helper hit the switch again.

No juice, you have a wiring problem.

If it has juice solenoid and it doesn’t even try to move then it’s shot.

If it just try’s to move but not enough then it’s a dirty, pull the rubber boot up and try cleaning it. If that doesn’t work it’s a dirty rod, take the door pad off and clean anything that moves that is attached from the solenoid to the lock switch and then to the lock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is just one door.

Can't be a fuse, because it works for a while, then doesn't for a while, then works again...

Also can't be a broken rod, loose rod, unplugged connector, or shot solenoid since it is an erratic problem.

Sounds like "dirty" things from everything you described. I'll have to pull the door pad and clean everything up. Hopefully, that will resolve it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
It is just one door.

Can't be a fuse, because it works for a while, then doesn't for a while, then works again...

Also can't be a broken rod, loose rod, unplugged connector, or shot solenoid since it is an erratic problem.

Sounds like "dirty" things from everything you described. I'll have to pull the door pad and clean everything up. Hopefully, that will resolve it.

Thanks.
Before you tear the door pad off, Take the access door off on the outboard side of the door.

Wait sorry, that is only on the front door, back door has no access door for the solenoid. So you have to take the door pad off to see what’s going on.

Still use a helper when you get the door pad off so you can see what’s going on when they push the lock button.

You will be able to see what’s going on. Also if you push the manual lock button on the door in question, does it feel different than the others?

It can still be the a defective solenoid working only when it wants to. Water getting in can raise havoc on electrical works.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have a 99 Suburban -- electronic locks -- the drivers side door lock is tripped and I cannot shut my door. Is there a quick way to rectify the issue.
If you are talking about the catch latch. I think that is the spring needs to be replaced I've had to do this before. There is a spring that wears out here. Won't hold latch up. You can buy this at jobber

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
This happened on the barn doors on my '99 just after I got it. Sometimes it would work, other times not. I replaced the lock solenoid and everything has been fine since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks, guys. I've got some good helpers at the house, and will work on this once I finish my weekend project on my F250 PSD (fuel sytem mods).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts