GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
using a cutoff tool and applying fiberglass you can make these repairs and do a good job with these products. then you can bring to paint shop for coloring the patched area. fiberglass will never rust again .tough thing about fiberglass is working temp/hardener ratios/personal protection.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
sure you can use the dupli-color primers/base color coat/then top off with clear. using some 1K/2K/3K wet sanding it can look perfect.
just make sure you wash and sand that fiberglass real good before you prime it. use prep-sol cleaner before spraying the surface.

on the hole make sure all rusted metal is gone . hole now too big I have used stove/vent pipe cut to fit and use some rivets. use countersink rivets.
set in the bumps if necessary. then fiberglass the repair. finish off the fiberglass by topping it with some bondo .
my rocker panels came out perfect. had to do both sides.
make sure you allow the proper time for the cure !!!! no rushing it..

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I bought my 2000 4X4 so I could get to work when the snow storms hit. This allowed me to make the big bucks. overtime around the clock.
I did the rust proofing and so far it has held up good ..not perfect but after 15 years no major rust. just the rockers in the rear area, this is because GM did not put water drain holes in the body sections of the rear area of the rockers.

Rustfre 1014 I think is the product used. It was/is a fiberglass petroleum based coating that still is working great. did all the areas that rust including those defective GM brake/tranny/oil lines made from Chinese steel crap.
I am very happy with the extra work I did almost 15 years ago to my new truck ,, since it paid off. still Looks new..

I do not wash my engine and I do not recommend this since , damage can occur. I would and do use air pressure to blow off any dirt.

down in the very warm areas now no cold or snow here. soon after several weeks with warm temps I will be back in the snow hell back home in MA...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts