GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this has been bothering me lately. When I mounted my amp in my truck I drilled the holes for it directly in the back of the cab. I had no other place to mount it, and it looks pretty cool there. I used 3/8" galvanized machine screws to mount the amp to the cab. Now to get to my point, I did'nt want to drill holes in my new truck, but I had no choice. Now I'm wondering if the holes are gunna rust around the screws:gasp: This has been bothering me a lot lately. I did wrap the threads of the screws with teflon pipe thread tape to seal out moisture, will that be enough to keep the little holes from rusting around the screws??? I cant really think of any other way other than taking off the bed (yikes!!!) and painting around the screws to keep them from rusting. Any ideas here? Is my current setup ok? I also accidentally drilled a hole in the wrong place, but I filled that in with white silicone, so I'm not worried about that one, just the ones that the screws are in. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I'm gunna worry myself to death!!! Here is a picture of one of the screws sticking out the back of the cab ( bottom of the rear wall) and you can see the hole I filled in.

Here is my amp inside the truck

Someone please help before I go insane! thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
You've heard of the spray on Rust stopper/preventer? Don't lose any sleep.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First , I'm glad I'm happy with my factory stereo system , I don't need a ghetto sound system . Second , take each screw out seperately and put a good amount of silicone on the screw threads then reinstall , no more worry .

·
Banned
372 Posts
For future reference...never ever drill through the body of the vehicle to mount anything on the interior of the truck. I wouldn't be worried as much about the rust as maybe water seeping in and potentially ruining your amp. Since you've not gotten too elaborate with your stereo, you should have just mounted your amp to your box. There are literally dozens of other mounting places inside the cab that make it so you dont have to do any drilling outside.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For future reference...never ever drill through the body of the vehicle to mount anything on the interior of the truck. I wouldn't be worried as much about the rust as maybe water seeping in and potentially ruining your amp. Since you've not gotten too elaborate with your stereo, you should have just mounted your amp to your box. There are literally dozens of other mounting places inside the cab that make it so you dont have to do any drilling outside.
Thanks, Yes I feel stupid for drilling holes in my truck:frown:... but I had no other option for mounting the amp. It is too large to fit under the seats, and I cant mount it to the back of the sub box cause it made it take up so much space that the seat would not go back far enough for me to be able to drive. I do like how the amp looks there, and I think that I found a solution for the rust and moisture problem that may start cause of the screws. Like I said earlier in the thread, I wrapped each screw with Teflon pipe thread tape, that should keep moisture out of the cab. I am going to crawl under the truck one day this week and reach up between the bed and the cab and put some silicone around all 4 screws, that should give me great rust protection and also act as a double moisture barrier.

Thanks to everyone for the help. And I have no future plans to drill any more holes in my baby!:rofl:

Here is a pic of the sub box, so you can see how tight it fits without the amp attached to it:

Thanks for the help guys.
Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts