GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I change out the front pinion seal on my diff..I took off the four bolts holding the the ujoints to the yoke, now that I try to put the driveshaft back on the yoke, it doesnt have enough give to slide the ujoint back in the yoke, I was thinking of rolling the truck off the ramps, and jacking up the truck so the back wheels come off the ground so I can turn the yoke enough so the ujoints will go back into the yoke so I can put on the two ujoint caps back on, but I was thinking, would that put slop or play in the driveshaft if the ujoints just slide into the yoke. When I disconnected the driveshaft a I had to pry the ujoints out of the yoke, it seemed like there was some pressure or torque to put the ujoints in the yoke when I had my ujoints (damn tired of typing ujoints lol) replaced. I hope I am making sense here...in laymans terms, I just want my damn driveshaft to go back on...lol..Sorry for bein a noob..

·
Registered
9 Posts
From the u joints that I have replaced, they should go into the capped half of the yoke easy. The only way that there should be play is if the yoke or caps are worn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool, I just wanted to make sure..Ive been fighting with it for the past half hour..Thanks for your help..I love this forum..quick replies rock...lol..I know I am easily entertained.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, before you force it back in there, I would carefully take each cap off & look to see if one of the needles has fallen down into the bottom of one of the caps. One needle will take up more than enough space to keep the joint from going back into the yoke.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
following with the needles thing. Where would these needles be located, both of the ujoint caps are solid metal with the exception of the holes where the bolts go through to mount the ujoint to the yoke of the differential. I am just trying to attach the ujoint thats on the driveshaft back onto the yoke of the differential. The yoke needs to turn another 1/4" or so, so I can slide the ujoint into the yoke so I can put the ujoint caps back on and tighten them back down. Please excuse my ignorance..

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
OK I got you now. I thought you couldn't get the U joint caps together enough to get clearance to fit it in the yoke. Forget about the needles lol.. I think you just didn't orient the yoke back on the same splines as where it came off of the rear diff. You need to rotate the driveshaft so it matches up with the rear end yoke right? If this is what you mean, then the easiest way is to put the trans in neutral & just rotate the drive shaft to match where the yoke is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thats all I need to do... you scared me man, I was like damnit, I lost some needles somewhere...Thanks for the info...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts