GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I wanted to get an idea from you guys about something very non-technical and arguably trivial. I apologize if this is a common topic. I did search first.

I want to be able to drive with the rear window open/lifted. The truck is a 2001 full size Tahoe, and I just purchased it. The truck has the tailgate and window, not the barn doors. But I wanted to know if it is a bad idea to drive with the tailgate open - hear your stories of window lift gates snapping or breaking, and anything else you may want to add.

I know it is small and trivial, but I do want to have this option, so if this is a horrible idea and the people I see driving around with their rear window lifted open are all just asking for trouble - please let me know in this thead. Additionally I was wondering if any of you know of any aftermarket part that stiffens the spring on that rear hatch or if I should just give up the idea altogether.

Thanks very much,
Erik

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It's not a bad idea as long as you have a front window open to allow air flow to pass through the vehicle from front to rear.
As your vehicle travels, the air flow over, and around the vehicle creates a cavatation at the rear, essentially pushing exhaust/air into the open window, or tailgate. Not a healthy situation for you or your passengers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is a really good point. I hadn't thought about it from that angle. I had just considered it from the standpoint of having the tailgate crack, or at the very worst - snap off as the truck bounces over bumps and so forth. The point about exhaust is a good one. I am not concerned about needing to replace those pressure hinge/arms once in awhile as a result of keeping the gate open but I want to be able to feel the open air once in awhile! When I have it open I will certainly keep the windows open as well.

Thanks for your response.
Erik

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
It's not a bad idea as long as you have a front window open to allow air flow to pass through the vehicle from front to rear.
As your vehicle travels, the air flow over, and around the vehicle creates a cavatation at the rear, essentially pushing exhaust/air into the open window, or tailgate. Not a healthy situation for you or your passengers.
Very true and in some states illegal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No problem

I drive with mine open all the time. Like previously posted - just make sure the windows are open to provide air flow. My dog LOVES to hang his head out the rear window when we're driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts