GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been seeing some dually 'burbans around the web. I was talking with my father a little some time back, and he seems convinced that they made a 3500 Suburban at one time. I'm not so sure. I think those are custom aftermarket duallies.

Does anyone know if there were, factory made 1 ton suburbans?

I guess the next question is, would any of you make that conversion to your 'burban???

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I'm not aware of any in the recent past, but just becuase I've never seen it doesn't mean that they didn't make it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since the first Suburban in 1936 none have been offered in a 1ton or dually. The early ones were offered in 2 door and (oddly) 3 door, not including the rear door(s).
I like the look of a 1ton dually Suburban and wouldn't mind converting mine one day(easy enough project). There are a few aftermarket suppliers for the fenders, they average about $500usd a pair. You can't use factory fenders because the quarter panels are different on the Suburban compared to the pick-up box. The factory fenders overlap the rear doors of the Suburban by quite a bit requiribg the use of custom short fenders.
For the time being I'm concentrating on my other mods first so I don't get to far ahead of myself.
Ron :D

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
That would be something, to see a customer dually suburban going down the road.

G

·
0 Posts
I found this on the web

The owner of the site, is calling it a 4x6 suburban.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
looks like an addon kit buy the way the wheels sit normally uinder the truck and the second set are way outside the truck. texas plates aren't they. suburbans are cowboys cadies

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
The Cowboy caddilac! :) You know, Texas is an open records state, I can find out who that is! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Back from the dead... In the movie Twister, the bad guys have a black dually Suburban that they use to tow their trailer full of weather equipment. Truck looks awesome!

·
Registered
282 Posts
very cool, that looks like a fun project. that one actually looks like the exterior width dimensions would be closer to the normal sub than to a dually. Definately a plus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be doing this

I plan on doing the conversion as soon as I get home on my 92 3/4 ton 454 4wd 4l80e. I did not know that the fenders wouldn't match up though. I expected some work but are you saying that the fenders won't work because of the doors? Well, either continue the kit onto the door or , like I have been thinking, add 2 feet right after the second door. There is a shop I Lawerenceville Ga that does crazy stuff like that and I will hunt them down when I get back. I would rather put the money into my truck rather than buying a new one and spending $30,000+. Mine is paid and I have done tons of work to it but had to stop for my deployment here in Iraq. So what do you guys think about it?? Worth it?? Too much?? Totally crazy??

Ian in Iraq...Again

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Totally crazy...Maybe. But that's what makes it worth it.You'll definitely have unique rig! :biggrin:
I'd say go for it! Please keep us posted on the progress.

Lastly, Thanks for all you, and the other troops are doing for us!

Stay safe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Heres my Per Project of a 1993 Dually Suburban

It has a 1 tonne Chasis but had to stay with the original frame, But it hasnt buckeled yet with any type of load i throw at it, Trailer wise at least, i did load up 63 budles of shingles in it and it dropped maybe an inch, Would have tried more but thats all it would fit. Needed to haul them to my cabin and it didnt seem feesible to have to get 3 or 4 trucks to haul it, Those bags are heavy....lol

350HD Motor
4L90 Tranny
Headers
Edelbrock Intake
Comp Cam
456 Low Geared Rear End
Yada Yada too much to list, Main purpose for building it was to haul cars, Collected older cars for awhule but havent haluled anything with it sionce my last 55 buick, Now its a daily driver, Still requires a bit of work Cosmeticly , Little bit of body work , Fibrglass, and paint.

What surprised my most was, i listed it for sale at $6500 and i didnt get one nibble, perhaps its all about location and mine was not the best of them

Saskatchewan, Canada.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts