GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Duplicolor Lacquer Paint: Paint Shop Finish System? I heard from 1 person it was bad, but I have heard from other people it is great and easy to use. I am gonna be buying my paint soon so my grandfather can paint my truck and teach me. Any incite on this would be GREAT and MUCH APPRECIATED....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I saw that on TRUCKS TV on Spike .For a learning paint job I guess it would be OK . If it's anything like old acrylic laquer , don't expect it to last very long . Laquer is brittle and never had any durabillity .It was always sensative also , the surface youapply it on has to be very thin (factory finish) or stripped . Otherwise everything will come threw the new paint by the time it cures . I was a body man all thru the 70s & 80s , laquer was pretty much all we painted with . Good luck . Let us know how it turns out .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Duplicolor Paints

I painted the rocker guards and metal fender flares on my Rock Fenders of my Jeep with their black paint before I sold it. I really liked it. Alot of paint is the prep work, spraying is the easy part. Make sure to sand, clean, clean, clean, (prepsol etc.) I layed down primer on all parts, sanded, prep'd then put on 2 coats of black (clean and sand between coats) then 4 coats of clear. Turned out great (minus the skeeter that landed in my 3 rd clear coat). I'm going to paint my new crawler with this system. 1 more thing get the best paint gun you can buy not the Meg-a-mart $15.00. Hope this helps (gotta help a brother smoke-eater)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes. it looks like it is smooth and easy to do. but i saw a few cars done by pros and the paint didnt turn out good with the duplicolor

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Is there a big price difference in the duplicolor paints compared to say house of colors. And if this is going to be your truck and the labor is free why not spend a little more and better paint?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after hearing what some other ppl have said i am gonna spend the extra and get the good stuff

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
once i get it done ill deff post ALOT of pics. my grandfather is gonna paint it and teach me in the process. i can do prep but not paint YET

1 - 13 of 13 Posts