GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My light blue interior won't match with my new paint job. I would like to dye the front bucket seats, the two bench seats, the carpets, and the ceiling. How would I go about dying it and what shoul I use?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Check with your local Dupont dealer. They should be able to hook you up with the dye and how to apply it. I've never done seats, but I have seen it done, and it looks good, and wears well. I have dyed dashboards with great success. Here is a good article on dye at: ztherapy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dying cloth interiors?

I would like to dye my light blue seats, carpet, headliner, etc. black in my '90 Suburban. What products and methods can I use?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used spray paint from Plasti-Cote and Duplicolor. Both make vinyl sprays and fabric sprays. The vinyl paint isn't too bad, and with proper prep work, it should last a while. The only place I have had problems is where my arm rests on the top of the door when I hang my arm out the window, so that gets touched up every now and then. The last time I tried dying seats, I used regular rit dye...bad move. My clothes changed colors for months. I ended up putting towels down, then seat covers. I did use the fabric spray paint on the headliner though and it seemed to work pretty good. Little stiffer than it origionally was, but I don't figure that matters too much on a headliner.
At the bottom of my signature, there is a link to my truck with pictures of the interior. The red is regular paint that I sprayed on in very very light coats. The interior has been like that several years and I have had to touch up some spots on occasion, but nothing major.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts