·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.

2000 Silverado Z71
4x4 5.3L w/ 480k+ miles

I've done a lot of work on the truck to get it back in shape. You can read about all of my shenanigans through my profile page, but I think the relevant thread is HERE. Pretty sure this has all been related...

I've had a knock sensor code since the dawn of time. I do not remember a day when it was not there, except for a brief moment after the new cats were installed. But now the P0332 Knock Sensor 2 has brought friends.

Day 1
P0332 Knock Sensor 2
P0405 EGR Sensor
P0440 Evap System

Day 2
P0332 Knock Sensor 2
P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient

I have recently:
  • deep cleaned the throttle body, but no deeper. I did not get into the gunk in the intake.
  • replaced the EGR valve with a NAPA Proformance EGR valve.
  • patched a hole in my intake tube (bottom of sediment bowl rubbed fan shroud).

I don't really know much about the EGR system, so I'm not sure where to go from here. These EGR codes are relatively new. I'm pretty sure they started showing up after I corrected all of the O2 sensor issues and cleaned the MAF sensor...

For what it's worth, I am missing one of the bolts (sheared off) where the tube from the EGR valve goes into the exhaust manifold. This has been like this since the motor was swapped out over 100k miles ago and the EGR codes just started populating.

Any advice on where to go from here would be great. I'm thinking I need to pull the TB and the intake to clean inside the intake. It's pretty coated with oil from the old motor...

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
the knock sensor has a corroded issue under the upper intake manifold.GM created a foam that breaks down the upper manifold then dumps water under the intake manifold and the 2 knock sensors have to be replaced and get the new harness to the KS ..
I did it 15 yrs ago the GM foam breaks down then I removed the foam and I used a rubber material and used silicone sealer to keep the water out .. also rodents like the acorns under the intake manifold

1 - 2 of 2 Posts