GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 2wd with the big block V8. The battery died after sitting a couple of weeks, jumped it and the engine started. Moved the car and hooked it to a charger (at night), not sure if I reversed polarity (I know, stupid), and next day the charger read nothing. Decided to get a new battery and now nothing turns on but the dome lights and the head lights. When I put the key in the first time to start it, the buzzer from the door being open came on, then shut off as soon as the key was turned, and now will not come on again with the key in the cylinder. None of the gauges or dash lights come on, the emergency flashers do not work, either. Took a set of jumper cables and hooked them to a new battery from my jeep (top terminal, not side ones), and again, nothing came on, except the dome light, and headlights. Nothing happens in the aux position, no radio.....
What am I missing in trying to narrow this down?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
unplug Neg Term for 30 mins and see what happens...

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. Sorry I don't do electronics.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
If you reversed polarity, you probably at least blew a couple of fuses. The way the electrical works in these older suburbans, blowing the fuse that I think is labled d/l or something like that (it's pretty close to center of the fuse panel) can cause all sorts of stuff to not work right. Hopefully you didn't cook the computer. These older trucks don't have reverse polarity protection like newer cars often have. Definitely check all the fuses for starters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts