GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
76 GMC Jimmy...where is this switch located? I've looked all under there and I can't find anything that looks like a switch. The light doesn't come on when the E brake is on. I know the light works.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
340 Posts
I found this website with complete wiring diagrams for your year vehicle. I think it covers your vehicle, as I did see the Blazer mentioned on the diagrams specifically. Hopefully you can piece these pics together and trace the wiring to what you need...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't need a wiring diagram. I need an actual picture of where the switch is located under the dash.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
340 Posts
I don't need a wiring diagram. I need an actual picture of where the switch is located under the dash.
I know...I couldn't find one. Was thinking, worst case, you could track the wiring from a known location to the switch.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Don't know if this will help but........ Check to see if there is a wire going to the top of the parking brake mechanism. GM sometimes used a small metal tab that had a wire on it so that when the parking brake was applied the brake arm would ground that wire to turn on the brake light. There was no switch as such just a metal to metal tab contact.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
If it's like my 88, then right above the emergency brake pedal on the bracket holding the assembly, is the switch, it should have a white and orange wires running to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's like my 88, then right above the emergency brake pedal on the bracket holding the assembly, is the switch, it should have a white and orange wires running to it.
I don't see ANY wires going to that area on mine.But yesterday when I was under the dash taking the cassette player out I noticed a black wire hanging down that looks like it had been cut. I thought that was kinda weird since my husband has owned this truck since it was new and insists that no one would have any reason to cut anything under there, or remove that switch. I have looked at wiring diagrams and can't find any kind of switch either. Could that black wire be the one that would go to that switch?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know if this will help but........ Check to see if there is a wire going to the top of the parking brake mechanism. GM sometimes used a small metal tab that had a wire on it so that when the parking brake was applied the brake arm would ground that wire to turn on the brake light. There was no switch as such just a metal to metal tab contact.
There is no wire going to that area, but yesterday I was under there taking out the cassette player and noticed a black wire hanging down that had been cut. I have no idea what the reason for that would be. We have owned this truck since it was new. I can't find anything in wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found this website with complete wiring diagrams for your year vehicle. I think it covers your vehicle, as I did see the Blazer mentioned on the diagrams specifically. Hopefully you can piece these pics together and trace the wiring to what you need...

That diagram doesn't show any kind of switch for the parking brake.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Do you have a switch on or near the master cylinder or on the brake lines. Some vehicles used a switch on the hydraulic system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out that black wire I saw was for the factory AM radio, which was cut many years ago. . So it looks like it never had a parking brake warning light...weird.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
OK, Look, the emergency brake light switch is activated by the application of the emergency brake pedal. When you step on the petal, then the switch is activated. If you look right above the emergency brake petal, you should see the switch, it's going to be up under the dashboard right there. Can you take a picture of the emergency brake patel area ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, Look, the emergency brake light switch is activated by the application of the emergency brake pedal. When you step on the petal, then the switch is activated. If you look right above the emergency brake petal, you should see the switch, it's going to be up under the dashboard right there. Can you take a picture of the emergency brake patel area ?
I know how the switch is activated. There is no switch. There is a hole in the bracket where the switch would go, but there isn't one! Guess it never had one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I wanted to wire up a switch for that, how would I tie it into that dash light? Could I splice it into the wire that goes to the proportioning valve?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
If I wanted to wire up a switch for that, how would I tie it into that dash light? Could I splice it into the wire that goes to the proportioning valve?
Well the switch is a plastic kind, it's adjustable so the plunger is activated once you step on the parking brake pedal and the light lights up on the dash. I'm sure you have a light on the dash, if you look it might still be tucked up inside the dash, my wires are orange and black, but I've seen a white and black wires used on other GM vehicles with the dash light. The switch is adjustable so it only comes on when the pedal is depressed and it goes out once you pull the release handle and the pedal comes back up ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the switch is a plastic kind, it's adjustable so the plunger is activated once you step on the parking brake pedal and the light lights up on the dash. I'm sure you have a light on the dash, if you look it might still be tucked up inside the dash, my wires are orange and black, but I've seen a white and black wires used on other GM vehicles with the dash light. The switch is adjustable so it only comes on when the pedal is depressed and it goes out once you pull the release handle and the pedal comes back up ?
Yes there is a light on the dash. But it is only wired to the proportioning valve right now. There are no wires for the emergency brake pedal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts