GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first Chevy (2003 Silverado) and to my pleasant surprise there is a engine hour meter display on the trip/odometer. THIS IS GREAT. Dividing hours into miles this truck has averaged over 31 MPH for last 48K which tells me it is mostly road miles.

I have a friend who has a 2007 and he does not have the hour meter.

Question: Is this a ordered option or can the local dealership reprogram the computer to display this?

The hour meter is one of the most innovative things I have seen a manufacturer do. On farm tractors everything is geared around the hour meter and we change oil based on hours.

I have a older tractor (gas engine) and factory manual says change every 50 hours. I just had tractor engine rebuilt and set up to run Mobil 1 and at 42 hours the oil is still clear and clean so obviously this tractor will see a much longer run time between changes with Mobil 1.

Hour meters for me all the way.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That's actually a good question. Does he have a 2007 Classic or a new body style? Also is the engine configuration the same? There were some changes with Active Fuel Management that may be at play too.

I've seen that feature on some of the 2007 and 2008 models that I've reviewed, but I can't tell which models have it and which dont.

Does your friend have the DIC buttons?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a DIC button? Actually my friends 2007 is a SUV. Have since talked to another guy that had a full size pickup and he said one was in his. I know for sure if I ever get to the point of ordering one you can bet it will have a hour meter.

That will likely be many years as I am now setting this one up for 250k miles. Yesterday I pulled the rear end cover. Wiped it out good and replaced the it with Permatex gasket goop and filled the rear end with Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube.

First of next week I go to transmission place and have it cleaned out and filter replaced and will do so every 30K from now on.

It has 48K now, at 50K I will dump the motor oil and go to Mobil 1 10w30 and that should set the engine up for 300K easy. I already have 600K on Mobil 1 oil and am running it in two other vehicles now. 235K and 135K respectively.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hours/miles

I just got a 2003 K3500. Hours are 6440, miles are 125,300. Still trying to determine what this would indicate? Not true miles? Engine ran some kind of power unit/compressor or something, or switch on or idleing alot. Late model farm equipment rack up hours at idle & maybe w/key on. trk six

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2003 K3500. Hours are 6440, miles are 125,300. Still trying to determine what this would indicate? Not true miles? Engine ran some kind of power unit/compressor or something, or switch on or idleing alot. Late model farm equipment rack up hours at idle & maybe w/key on. trk six

I just bought a 2500 suburban with 128 hours on it! something isnt right!! it has 34,000 miles on it.

any ideas?
I checked to vin against any warranty work and the cluster hasnt been changed.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure on Chevy but on a tractor and other stuff I have seen the hour meter runs as long as they key is in the on position. Sounds like a question for the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hour meter probs

my 2003 k i500 had 1,750 hours on the meter (52k) until today when i started driving .it now reads 1.5. it has been snowing and pouring rain for three days straight, and i think water got into some where it dosent belong.dic is the buttons on wheel that display two trip odoms. mpg averaging and a bunch of other features. i just have the plain odometer reset operated dic. i will check tomorrow to see what happened. this is really bothering me because my intermittent wipers stuttered a few xs today and my cruise set light wont work.electronics dont belong on vehicles.not rocking steady!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts