GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know if engine oil treatments like petro tech or slick 50 do any good to prolong the longevity of my motor. I just turned over 90,000 on my 2001 Silverado Z71, and want to keep it as long as I can. Also what do you guys know about using synthentic oil or regular. The dealer said they use regular Mobil oil in their oil changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey does anyone know if engine oil treatments like petro tech or slick 50 do any good to prolong the longevity of my motor. I just turned over 90,000 on my 2001 Silverado Z71, and want to keep it as long as I can. Also what do you guys know about using synthentic oil or regular. The dealer said they use regular Mobil oil in their oil changes.
Add a quart of Lucus oil treatment at oil change S t p will put a glaze on rod and crank bearings

·
Registered
15,453 Posts
Just my 2 cents, if you use a good synthetic oil you do not need oil treatment packages.
As mileage increases you might opt of a high mileage synthetic.

And again, just my 2 cents, if you engine has been using conventional oil be careful adding treatments or home made mixtures; because if you loosen the crud which builds up from conventional oil too quickly you will have blocked oil passages.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
my 2000 silverado I dumped conv dino oil at 10K miles then NO piston slap on a cold start ..
still running strong no repairs 175K miles. 5.3L..
mobil 1 5-30wt .

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
You can switch to a good synthetic oil if you want to. They are proven to add longevity to engines. This all comes down to driving conditions for the most part. If you drive in dusty conditions, you need to do your oil and filter changes more frequently. On a cast iron block like you have, conventional oil is what these engines were designed to run. The real key here is oil changes every 3 months, or 3000 miles with conventional oil, and every 5 months, or 5000 miles with synthetic oil, and always change the filter with every oil change. If you live on a gravel road, or travel them often, then you need to change your oil more often. As for additives adding longitivity to your engine when there are no issues, no, they wont. Clean oil and filter is the key to making your engine last a long time. My 97 Silverado (5.7L) has almost 250,000 miles on the original engine, and it runs excellent. There are people with your same engine with well over 400,000 miles on the original engine. There are even a few with over 1,000,000 miles although that is rear.

Reactions: PlaywithTBI

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lucas Oil stabilizer is the best thing to use. (In my experience)

Conventional oil and Lucas has been my choice all the way to 380K miles on my 5.7L vortec.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I dumped conventional oil when my 2000 silverado had 10K miles on it. engine had piston knocking on cold start. then I used mobil synthetic 5-30wt until now .. 175K on it .. I tow my 4K lbs 20 foot boat no problem still good power and no major repairs.. the other thing I did was DUMP DEXRON III !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at 20K miles.. used mobil synthetic dex/merc tranny fluid.. no problems but if you buy a new GM truck its a mess on shifting .old GM good new GM a sh*t show ..
I plan on using the new spec on engine oil .. look at the back of the oil bottle SN PLUS ..., that works great in my 2016 Toyota truck .. I still have 12 qts of the mobil synthetic sn spec so I will not throw that oil out .. but the SN PLUS works good quiet on engine cold starts .. GM equinox engines had this engine piston damage so now GM changed the spec to dexos 2 sn plus ....friend had a engine failure GM changed all the pistons on his equinox ..GM screwed up on the proper oil spec ...many had engine failures ..
yes the dealership will tell you use the conventional oil ... LOL.... that is why they want that on truck dead...buy new GM ...

1 Posts
Add a quart of Lucus oil treatment at oil change S t p will put a glaze on rod and crank bearings
I have been using AMSOIL diesel in my 2005 duramax since new. I use the Amsoil by-pass oil filter system. I change the oil every 2 years with oil analysis every 25,000. Never had a bad report. I probably will never use anything else. If you are using an oil additive you are using the wrong oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts