GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all you gurus of the Suburban!!!! I need your help.:sign0011:

I have a '99 4wd 1500 Suburban which I love. Just dropped almost $10k into at beginning of year to put a 10" Full Throttle lift kit on it with 37" tires on 20" rims - looks awesome.:happy:

Problem is, it doesn't run awesome - in fact, right now, it doesn't run - period.:shocked:

Was driving home from work last week, heard a horrible knocking noise, pulled off the freeway and the engine seized.:grrrrrr:

This is where the gurus help is needed. I can replace the engine for the cost of feeding my (very capable) neighbours beer and pizza, plus of course the engine.

Question is - can I upgrade from my current 350 to the bigger beefier 454? If I do upgrade then I will, of course, also upgrade to the 4L80E transmission, but what else do I need to change? Do I have to relocate engine mounts? Do I have to replace ECM and/or sensors? Do I need a different driveshaft - shorter/longer/different diameter shaft?

My idea is to replace engine and transmission, then eventually upgrade rear end, and make my 1500 a 2500. That way it will be able to tow my 24' toy hauler down to the sand for family vacations.

Please help out a newbie, and help me get another one of them great 'burbs back on the road where she belongs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for help

Thanks for the help and advice.

I think I'm gonna take the wimp option and just do a straight engine swap with a new 350. Might drop a new Chevy Transmission in there too, just cos the old one has 140k on it and it will be easier to do with the engine out. The extra cost/time/difficulty to do everything else is not worth it for the few times I will use it to tow the trailer.

Donnoman, I love the idea of the 383, but unfortunately I live in California, and the smog police would be all over me.

Thanks all

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.