GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie here.. just registered.. I'm trying to swap my engine on 97 suburban 1500 4x4.. with 5.7 engine.. Can anyone advise me on the possible other engine that would fit in my sub..?? considering all the tranny.. torq converter.. etc.. are there any possibilities..?? or does it have to be a 5.7..?? I did find a resonably priced 5.0 with tranny... but will it fit my sub..?? your espertise advise will be appreciated. For a newbie, I bring a big tech question.. huh..??. thanks..jc.:neutral:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
If the 5.0 you are looking at is a 96-99 chevy truck motor, it should work fine, but it will be under powered for your Suburban. You will probably need the computer from the 5.0, but I'm not sure about that. Someone else will chime in I'm sure. There are plenty of the 96-99 Chevy truck 5.7's in wrecking yards, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one of those.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Yea I'd have to agree with gary... those 5.0's were underpowered and it will be worse for a suburban... try to find a 5.7 in the junkyard.. or if you really want to I know GM makes that same 5.7 sold as a crate motor for about 1800 bucks (200 horse 300 torque). but than again its 1800 and youll pay much less in the junkyard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey..!! thanks for your responses.. the 5.0 that I'm looking at is the vortec engine, from 97 gmc truck.with 82k miles on it..that's why I'm considering... would I have to change out the heads..?? or since it's a vortec.. will it fit all electronics.. sensors.. etc..?? the seller has the ecu,,.. wiring harness.. etc.. or is it just like the 5.7.. head.. with all corresponding accessories ready to just hook-up..?? easily..?? ( I guess no engine replacement will be easy.. any ways you look at it..MY OTHER CHOICE; at this time is a 92 vortec 5.7 BUT..I saw in this forum.. that they are different..?? I wonder what is the difference.. mounts..?? trannyy?? or don't even consider..?? your suggestion is appreciated.. thanks.. jc..

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
the 92 motor you were lookin at is not vortec... the vortec motors were introduced in 1996. Those pre-vortec era 5.0l were very underpowered... I'd go for the motor out of the 97 but I dont think they ever made the 5.0l in vortec so its prob a 5.7. Im pretty sure they discontinued the 5.0L when the vortec motors came out and they stuck with the 5.7 350 and the 7.4 454 as well as the 4.3l V6. correct me if im wrong guys!!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
They had the 5.0 vortecs from 96-98 I believe, but I don't think they were available in the Suburbans, only the pickups. My dad and a friend both had the 5.0 vortec in 96 extended cabs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes.. you're right .. the 92 that I'm looking at is not a vortec.. but it is 5.7.. and 5.0 is a vortec, out of the 97 gmc truck.yes .. I did some research, and they did make 5.0 vortecs at 97, for 1500 series trucks...I'm just looking into all possibilities, .. the thing is that.. you know the gas milage that we get on these trucks.. I wos wondering if I put 5.0,, it would save me some gas money.. you know the gas prices these day... don't we..??and worse yet.. it's not gonna get any better soon ... or worse later.. man..!!!! we should do something about it.. but... anyways.. if and only if.. 5.0 vortecs would fit just perfect... I'm really considering seriously..of course... any helping informations, and your suggestions will be appreciated.. as I start the swap..to the finish line.. you will see alot of me as I progress.. I don't haul any heavy stuffs.. I'm a city boy.. and I'll be using the sub for my work.. having about 200 lbs in the sub for my work stuff..I work on security alarms,,etc.. nothing heavy.. only question is that will it fit to my sub right,,..?? with 4x4,hi/lo and 2x4 would work properly..??in my tranny,,..?? would all the wiring stuffs connect properly... etc.. a loss of power is somewhat acceptable considering I would not haul anything with my sub...but let me do a little more search on 5.7 vortecs as well..and see if I can find some nice one's out there..yes.. you guys are right,, I'll make a trip to a junk yard, and see what is available.. there..if you happen to run into one.... let me know.. I'm in inland empire in california.. your help will be appreciated.. thanks... jc..

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
hmmm I learn something every day here... I never knew they had a 5.0 vortec... and your right about the gas the 5.0 vortec will prob get better gas mileage my 95 non vortec 5.7 gets about 12 on a good tank and my moms 96 vortec 5.7 in her burb gets 16

·
Registered
279 Posts
The 5.0 will go in no problem, all the sensors will hook-up normally, you have to swap the pcm. The 5.0 will be underpowered for your burb, and it will probably burn more fuel than a 5.7 trying to move that heavy beast. My recommendation is to replace it with a 5.7.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right Pete..?? when I'm forking out over 100.00 a fill up in gas tank.. My heart pounds sometimes.. well.. guess not just me... probably most of you guys feel that these days.. unless you're a millionaire.. or close to it.. so when my engine started to tick a little..)) and now... KNOCKING badly.. and finally snap sound made my engine bleed badly, with milk shake oil, from the engine,dripping in my driveway..,shishkabob.. (sounds horrible..??!!%%)huh..?? I really wanted to consider the gas wise thoughts..well the description I had given is exactly what happened..( give me any ideas.. if there is any possibilities to save my engine,,)))LOL..LOL..LOL,, Well I could laugh now.. but you know the moment, when my engine went with a big SNAP sound, and ticking became a hard, loud, KNOCKING.. my heart just shrunked out to the max...I know some of you guys are very good technically, and mechanically,,, if you have any ideas to save my engine,, that would be a great thing.. But I know that this would take a lot more money to rebuild, than to just replacing it with a new/used engine,,anyways.. give me some inputs on technical/mechanical inputs.. on my project will be appreciated... if anyone has gone though this before.. there must have been some kind of difficulties that had come along.. it's my first time, and any input will be appreciated.. thanks.. jc..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.. As you're a g.m. mechanic.. I would have to take your advice... I will be looking around for a 5.7 vortecs.. and try to put in a original specs.. I had figured.. 5.0 would be good for freeways/higher speed,,.. but I sensed that local street driving would not be any better in gas/starting power.. hauling power.. performance..etc.. I do a lot of freeway miles.. so that was my main point of view..when I'm getting 15 miles per gallon of gas... It's natural that something like what I'm thinking is logical...of course I do not want to ruin the feel of the drivability of surburban.. you know it drives NICE.... wwwoops DROVE nice.. not any more..THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT..JC.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good-luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
O.K...guys.. I did find 5.7 ( block and the head only.. and did swap the engine..my old one had broken rod and cracked the block.. leaking all the oil out of it..the new one had 83K miles on it.. so I think it should be good..some of the sensor cables lost the tape that I had put on... so your help will be appreciated.. to locate them.. in proper places.. most of them fitted just right.on top of the head. can't put different connectors in the same areas.. g.m. did use different connectors to fit, so can't go wring in male/female.. BUT ..1;can't find the right connector for the distributor rod (where all the 8 spark plug cables are distributed from..on the bottom side of the grey plastic distributor.. I wonder which that one is grouped with.. and 2..; the cable that goes to the bottom of the engine, that has a connector to the crank position sensor fitted good, but the last one after that.. where does that one go to..?? sorry guys.. but some of of my tapes got lost during the swap..lot of cable pushings to fit the engine in place..tapes fell off.. ( that was not easy at all..) you will see lot of me here.. to finish off the swap..and every help will be appreciated..if some pictures to locate these connectors will be great too.. if possible..hopefully I can start the engine today... it's saturday, and it would be great if I can finish.. thanks in advance, for all your help... jc...

·
Registered
561 Posts
it might help if you post some pictures of what you need assistance with. sometimes what one person calls a part is different than another persons name for it....mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
O.K... I did find all the connectors to fit right.. but now.. What is the procedure to put the distributor rod in right sequence/place.. I don't think I can just stick it in.. and expect it to fire in right sequence of the spark plug firing..( out of my logical thinking..) if anyone knows the right steps to take it will be appreciated.. thanks.. almost there..please help..!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts