GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 suburban started, ran for 2 min. then quit. It's getting gas. I changed the rotor but still won't start. The cap looks OK. Any suggestion?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RE: engine turns over, but won

What engine, etc? It sounds like fuel, but could be many things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's a 350 engine, 1500 suburban, 4wd. I can hear the fuel pump, and I got a bath while changing the fuel filter, that's why I think the carb is gettig gas. Unless there is something else that would prevent the gas to enter the carb. I'm at a loss for ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

No, if you're getting gas that far then your fuel pump is probably not suspect. If it was running normally and just quit, it could be so many things. How many miles on the engine? Have you kept up on maint, etc? Done any electrical work recently?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The truck has 187,000 miles on it, I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and it passes emission tests every year. The engine itself is clean and ran smooth. About a year and half ago, I brought the truck into the dealer for some maintenance. The 2 front doors were sagging and not closing right, there was a clunking noise when I accellerarated from a stop, and I wanted a tune up. They fixed everything including replacing the radiator that I didn't even know had a leak. The bill came to over $5,000. I beleive I paid for someones on the job training, any how my truck won't be seeing the inside of the dealer's shop again. If I can't resolve the problem by replcing a part or 2, I'll have the truck towed to a place that was recommended to me.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Start with the basics. The internal combustion engine is fairly simple only requiring a few things to run.
1. Fuel = Yours sounds ok. (must be adequate volume and pressure)
2. Oxygen = If you are breathing this is usually not a problem
3. Spark = There is more to the ignition system than a rotor.
4. Compression = should be greater than 100psi and within 20-30lbs overall.
5. Timing = All the above at the wrong time = no start.

You should verify all of the above. If all are present an engine will run. One or more of them is missing in your burb so with a little checking you should be able to pinpoint the problem.

HEI systems are prone to carbon tracking and coil failure. A high mileage engine could have problems with the timing chain/gears. Cylinder pressure is not a common problem, but should not be overlooked.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the ignition coil and it's wire that connects to center of dist. cap.
The engine started, put on a few miles, no problem to report.
Thanks for the responses.
I'm a happy guy!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.