GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 Escalade with the 6.0L that tried to make burger meat out of an antelope. At 80mph, it was much more like mush! The insurance totaled the rig, which I expected. This is the 4th time it has been totaled. First was a front end collision that did significant damage, but was repaired well. Next was a rear end accident that didn't do very much, but enough to total it. Third, less than a year ago, was a deer doing cosmetic only damage and I fixed it again. Last week was the antelope, again doing mostly cosmetic, minor enough, but still a total loss as far as State Farm is concerned. The dang thing only has 162K miles on it and it runs way too good to scrap out. I was planning to rebuild it again but this time build myself some major stout ranch style bumpers so I completely win the fight next time around! Then I came across an '03 Escalade in pristine condition with a bad tranny. Owner sold the engine so I would need to drop my engine and trans into the '03. The problem is, according to the info I can find, all the '03 Escalades came with a 5.3L, not the 6.0L.

Is the 6.0L with the tranny a direct drop in as far as the computer is concerned? If not, is it as simple as replacing the 5.3 computer with the 6.0 computer and driving away? I want this to be as simple and straight forward as possible. If there is any extra voodoo that has to happen, I'll just continue with repairing what I have. I'm getting too old for a major project with a deadline. If I had 6 months maybe, but I only have about a week to get the job done before a camping trip.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
The computer info for the 6 will be different. Not sure if it’s just a prom chip like earlier models.

·
Registered
13,592 Posts
Jack, should be an easy swap, both engines used the same transmission, so there won't be any driveshaft issues.
Greg is right, better to use the 6 ltr computer, it has the right fuel tables and it already knows the crank position.
But, it will have the wrong VIN, so it may not "play well" with the other modules.

Question through: the '03 must be RWD, cause I think the AWD trucks had the 6 ltr

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still waiting on some answers from the seller, he said it is 4x4, but in the pics it's missing the selector, so I'm assuming it is the AWD T-case.

……...

Just got message back from the seller while working on this response.

It had the 6.0, and it is the AWD. I guess that makes this entire inquiry a mute point. It should be a simple drop in and go. That makes my next week project so much easier!

Thanks for your responses guys, it's been a while since I have been on here, Life seems to be getting busier the close I get to retirement. Less than a year to go!!!

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
13,592 Posts
Jack, you still need to do a crank relearn if you use the '03 box and if you take the '05 box the Vin needs to be changed.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I guess gone are the days of dropping in any old engine, hooking up one power wire and driving away.....

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
261 Posts
@JackE you need to get rid of that escapade 😂 that thing is cursed!

Reactions: RayVoy and JackE

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't now, I'm committed! I did find a nice newish Escalade, one with the massagers in the seat, but then I would have to work a few more years before I could retire. As of now, I'm less than a year from getting paid well to stay home! I'm just going to build a bumper stout enough to win the next several rounds with wildlife! Stay tuned for that red-neck project...….

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the 4th time it has been totaled.
I should clarify, I, or my wife, have not been driving for any of the accidents. The first two were before I knew it, the third was when my son owned it, and this last one was my 18 year old nephew. I just need to never let anyone else EVER drive my vehicles again! He wanted to take my Charger.... I told him he had a better chance of making ice cream in Hell than getting to drive my Charger, even out of the driveway!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I had a relapse over the weekend when I tore into the front end to get a good assessment of the hidden damage. I decided I would take the easy way out and buy something that wasn't caved in. Left town for the big city (250+ miles away) on Friday morning with several prospects in mind. Everything from a 2003 3/4 ton Yukon XL up to a 2017 Yukon XL, with several Escalades in between. Hours worth of searching and test driving, a night in a hotel, and more searching Saturday morning. I headed back home empty handed with new resolve to fix the Escalade again. There really are some nice riding vehicles out there, but none of them are worth $45K let alone $75K-$100K! 2-3 grand into parts and some new tools and I'll have my Escalade looking and riding better than everything I saw and drove. And without a single monthly payment! I spent yesterday online shopping and spent about $1500 on parts and tools. Pretty excite about the new plasma cutter that's on the way to join the tool family in my shop! In a moment of weakness I almost bought a 2001 4x4 3500 crew cab dually with the Duramax. It was a one owner with only 81K miles on it. I would have enjoyed every minute driving it, but I don't think the wife would have. Since she will be the primary driver on the second vehicle until I retire, I'll have to wait a couple more years for the Dura-fatty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts