GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2003 5.3L Silverado and was at Advanced Auto Parts today and saw the Spectre CAI. It was reasonably priced and wanted to know if anyone has heard anything good or bad about this CAI. I also have a local mechanic/auto shop that offers a generic version of the Flowmaster 40 Series muffler. How loud is the 40 Series? Would the combination of the two give me an increase in MPGs if I am able to keep my foot off the pedal? Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have heard from a few people that Spectre is kind of a cheap brand. Ive had K&N on everything I love it, I would suggest going with a better brand name such as K&N or Air Raid, they are more expensive but you are getting mor quality parts. As far as the Flowmaster 40S ive never heard them but I can suggest looking on YouTube, a lot of guys upload videos of how their trucks sound before and after new exhaust. If you do end up putting both upgrades on your truck it should help your MPGs, i mean it couldnt hurt...my K&N gave me a few extra MPG. hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The Flowmaster 40 series sounds good and isn't too loud being i had straights before it has a nice mellow/deep tone at higher rpm's but i also installed mine with a x pipe to help some power and even the flow of my exhaust being i had true duals. I have seen the Spectre CAI at Advanced auto parts and it is good priced but idk how they perfrom to be honest. I know mainly a K&N CAI is the best you can get. How much did the spectre cost? I have a website www.autoanything.com for $216 brand new! All you have to do is type your info year,model etc. and add it too your cart it's the 63 series K&N there will be a add a promo code and you add LOYALTY and gives you $50 off the price and also they have free shipping that is fast and this is the best deal online hope this helps man and also this would help slightly in mpg with muffler maybe 2-3 MPG.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I'm just don't care for the open airbox CAI's. AFE, Banks and Volant all make good closed box CAI's. I myself have the Banks. You can see it on my latest photo album.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Also on www.autoanything.com any of the CAI open box or closed box they promo loyalty takes $45 off i just looked it's not $50 its $45 but thats a damn good deal with also free shipping. Here is a link to a closed air box Volant: http://www.autoanything.com/Cart/Cart.aspx

This is only $258.36 with the discount so it's the same as a open CAI.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have the Volant, which a lot of guys on here run, and like it. It gives better throttle response and a nice sound when you need to get up and go. Not sure about the exhaust. I have the Borla dual and like it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have the Volant, which a lot of guys on here run, and like it. It gives better throttle response and a nice sound when you need to get up and go. Not sure about the exhaust. I have the Borla dual and like it.
I always wondered how the closed air box and open air box compare to one another. Which one is better than the other?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
A muffler by itself really won't give you a big increase in HP or MPG compared to a full cat back exhaust. Combining the CAI and an exhaust will give you an improvement in power and MPG. However, the best way to increase your MPG is to change your driving habits.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Drop in K&N air filter and a Airaid Modular Intake Tube is less than 200 bucks and you have essentially a CAI.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yeah i guess your are right i was looking at that too or thinking about that. I also believe i would just spend the extra $50 and make the engine look a lil bit better instead of doing that. I think although that is a good idea man.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The idea I mentioned above works well for me as the Vortec Max essentially has a high flow air box already that draws cold air from the fenderwell. So to drop a K&N only instead of replacing the air box worked for me. The main restriction is the intake tube and the stock air element. Replace those and you pretty much free up all there is to free up. Now on other models I do not know if the OEM air box is a high flow or not and that will be up to the individual to look at and decide themselves. I do agree that the Banks or Volant kits do make a more presentable appearance than OEM does.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yeah idk if the 1500's is high flow or not i'm sure you could make them very easily and do the same thing you did. All i have done motor wise so far and performance is cat back true dual exhaust with super 40 and x pipe and drop in K&N air filter. I like the idea that you have being i have thought of this before just have been busy with the outside of the truck ha.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
i have a Spectre on my truck and ive been happy with it so far. was a little tricky to install but it went in easy enough. its held up well so far, had it on for 2 months with no problems. i have that a hypertech max energy and the flowmaster cat back and i picked up around 2 mpg.

buy what your comfortable with.

Alex

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked up a Flowmaster 50 delta. I am going to have a shop put it in for me. It is 3" in/out. I was wondering should I get all new piping or use the stock pipe and weld it right into the flowmaster? Secondly, about the CAI, for the $235 for the K&N is it really worth it. I'm not sure if this is true, but i've heard that if you get a CAI with a oiled filter, GM will refuse to work on the vehicle.

·
4,781 Posts
I just picked up a Flowmaster 50 delta. I am going to have a shop put it in for me. It is 3" in/out. I was wondering should I get all new piping or use the stock pipe and weld it right into the flowmaster? Secondly, about the CAI, for the $235 for the K&N is it really worth it. I'm not sure if this is true, but i've heard that if you get a CAI with a oiled filter, GM will refuse to work on the vehicle.
As far as adding new pipe after installing the Flowmaster and/or any Muffler, I would say Most do go with new pipe and also add a Nice Chrome Tip at the End.......for buying a K&N CAI or any other aftermarket CAI.........it depends on what you are looking and wanting to spend for a CAI......I would Buy and install a Set of Headers before buying and installing a CAI.......

On the Oil that is used on a K&N and/or any other Oil Filter......and a G.M/Chevy Dealer refusing to work on a Vehicle that has one(OIL Filter)......I've had nothing But K&N Filter's on All of my Vehicles, and I have not yet had a G.M./Chevy Refuse to work on my Truck/Cars, with that being said, there may be some cases where this has happen.......K&N Gets a BAD RAP......about Oil getting on or in the MAF Sensor......IMO.....The Problem is Due to Those Who Do Not Read and/or Following The Instructions from K&N on how to apply the Oil and then Over Apply the Filter in Oil.

Edit:......I'll add that in All the Years of having K&N Air or CAI Filter's installed on my Vehicle's....Not One Problem with Oil getting into or on any of my Vehicles that had MAF Sensor's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put a Volant cai with the scoop. Pricey but worth it. After about 45 mph the scoop starts to work.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Drop in K&N air filter and a Airaid Modular Intake Tube is less than 200 bucks and you have essentially a CAI.
x2, You can also cut out the bottom of your box and it will work just fine. I believe the intake tube is around $120 at autozone. There is nothing wrong with a Spectre intake. They'll work just as good as the K&N. The only downside to it is the Metal intake tube. It doesn't cool off as fast as the plastic tube.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have Spectre CAI on my truck and it came with the rubber tube and it works just fine. And i also have FlowMaster Amercian Thunder Exhaust and its 40 series. It got a low deep aggressive sound when you give it some gas. But with them together i get about a 3 mpg increase.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts