GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to figure out what this drone is i"ve been reading about. I got magnaflow catback installed single in , dual rear exit on 04 sierra 1500 5.3 and love the sound but at 1600-2000 rpm it is really loud...or is this drone?...also on cruise control @ 110 km/hr and 2000rpm it holds a steady note which I'm not complaining about but just trying to figure out if its drone or the actual exhaust sound?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
that would be the drone, a steady low tone at highway speed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on another site drone is described as noise coming from the cabin...that if it sounds like its coming from the cabin its drone and if it sounds like its coming from the back its exhaust sound....at 110 km/hr and 2000 rpm it SOUNDS like its exhaust to me...it will hold a steady note at a steady rpm...any rpm..every rpm will have its corresponding sound....anyone else???

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
That pretty well describes the "drone" I had with true dual Flowmasters. As far as I know, the only cure is to get used to it or turn up the radio. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I contacted magnaflow and they told me that I could not get rid of the drone but can only reduce it by putting in a bigger muffler or adding a second round muffler ahead of the one I have ...Anyone try this?

Not getting to much advice here

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
The "extra" muffler would probably help, as in years past a "resonator" was part of factory exhaust systems. I don' see why it should be ahead of the muffler though. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
magnaflow does make a resontor and i know alot of guys that do the tuner thing use them especially the guys that have ecotec cavaliers and it helps, thats all i got

·
Registered
10 Posts
Longer muffler Get a 18" or a 24" magna flow the standard option in most shops is the 14" they are louder the shorter you go I have a 14" on my V6 and a a 24" on my 6L V8 because of the AFM did not want to much sound when it kicks into V4 mode

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have been told to put the same materials on the floor as what they use for sound systems , I will be looking into it as i have a lot of drone inside the cabin with my flowmasters

·
Registered
27 Posts
Flowmaster makes mufflers with delta flow to help with interior sound or drone .Drone is only drone if you dont like it . If it doesn't bother you its called a great sounding exhaust .

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a sportscar with a Flowmaster, drone on it was really bad. We went on a road trip once and it was just unbearable... arriving at our destination and turning off the car 6 hours later, it felt like a tremendous relief of pressure... Like someone removing my head from a vice/clamp. Never again did we drive this car on any trips.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Flowmaster makes mufflers with delta flow to help with interior sound or drone .Drone is only drone if you dont like it . If it doesn't bother you its called a great sounding exhaust .
agreed!
in my truck having a single dumped muffler it is considerd to be drone by the parents and girlfriend
but to me and my friends its a great sounding exaust!

:lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
agreed!
in my truck having a single dumped muffler it is considerd to be drone by the parents and girlfriend
but to me and my friends its a great sounding exaust!

:lol:
I would have to agree too, kinda. I loved the sound in my sports car, the deep menacing rumble was to die for. Around the city, I loved it, even if I drove all day on/off... I would enjoy every minute. I just couldn't tolerate it if I had to drive on a 2+ hour trip.My head would be throbbing...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have tried the Flowmaster but now I am using a MagnaFlow No Drone I went with a 24" muffler over the 14" that most use stile has a nice rumble but quiets way down on the road. It also helped with my Fuel Mileage I would recomend a 18" or a 24" Magnaflow I belive they are a few dollars less but are Stainless so should last longer than the aluminized steel on the flowmaster just my 2 cents

·
Registered
19 Posts
Drone

I have a Magnaflow single-in dual-out. When I first installed the exhaust I had the ends of the tips just short of the rear bumper and the interior noise was very considerable. Arrived at my destination in NY and slid the tips just past the bumper and the cabin noise dropped tremendously. Just my input for possible noise adjustment.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
A magnaflow resonator will help, magnaflow makes a great sounding exhaust for ecotec (no angry bee sound) cavaliers and adding the resonator doesnt recuce the overall exhaust note but helps greatly within the cabin so for a truck I can only imagin it would do the samething, i have also heard of putting a reversed glass-pack on V-6 cars to cut the interior noise:neutral:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't like to call it drone, as I'm still young and enjoy the sound. It is more of a purrr.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts