GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2001 2500 burb there are 2 big round coffee can looking things on my exhaust are they cats or resinators an can they be removed if there resinators?i'm looking to free up some exhaust pressure to get alittle better flow for even better gas milage. LOL i was told when a 3/4 or 1 ton truck they didn't put cats on any info on this ???? thanks johnny

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
umm...it's not legal for them to not put cats on vehicles, at least in the US. The coffe can things are probably mufflers or cats. Cutting the mufflers off would give you better flow, and make the truck pretty loud. Cutting the Cats off is definitley not advised, especially if you live somewhere that has smog regulations. Not having catalytic converters can cause your back doors/tailgate and bumper to rust, since raw exhaust is pretty caustic and corrosive. I don't think you'd get significantly improved gas mileage either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the exhaust is formed like this from manifold to muffler its one pipe on each side with coffee can in between then muffler to single outlet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts