GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory alarm on my 2004 Suburban seems to be messed up. The doors automatically lock when I start the car and try to lock again when I put the car into gear. The doors unlock when I put the car into park. Anyone know what might cause this?

Thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
Chuck your settings from your steering wheel , you may have to reprogem the controls again . Mark

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Sounds like your truck is set for factory settings. You'll have to review the owner's manual to change that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Settingings

I just bought the truck used and the owner's manual was not with it. Anyone know where I can buy the manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Button and a Switch

I just found a switch and a small button under the dashboard. It looks like a cut of switch but doesn't seem to do anything. Any idea what these might do?

Thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
I just found a switch and a small button under the dashboard. It looks like a cut of switch but doesn't seem to do anything. Any idea what these might do?

Thanks
:confused: :confused: :confused: where is the switch at ? Driver side or poss. side ??? You can at pep boys for a manual like book , or order one throw the dealer. :great:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
The factory alarm on my 2004 Suburban seems to be messed up. The doors automatically lock when I start the car and try to lock again when I put the car into gear. The doors unlock when I put the car into park. Anyone know what might cause this?

Thanks
Ain’t it supposed to do that?

I mean except for the trying to unlock.

Sign on here and you can order a new manual for it.

https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home?cmp=gmcomhp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Locks

I think the doors should lock when the truck is put into gear. It locks as soon as I start the truck and then tries to relock the doors, which are already locked from start up, when I put the truck in gear. Is there any possibility the switch under the dash is a valet switch or something like that?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I think the doors should lock when the truck is put into gear. It locks as soon as I start the truck and then tries to relock the doors, which are already locked from start up, when I put the truck in gear. Is there any possibility the switch under the dash is a valet switch or something like that?
If you look at the right side of the link I posted you can download a free Digital owner's manual.

There you go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Owner's Manual

Thanks for the link. I looked at the owner's Manual and it does seem that the doors alarm or keyless entry system is not working properly. Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After Market Alarm

The dealer called me and said the alarm is after market. I guess the previous owner installed it. They ssaid they fixed the problem. The car and the alarm were operating the locks independenly and the alarm had to be reprogramed. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
On your steering wheel you have some control buttons. There is a control to have all or drivers side doors lock/unlock either at a certain speed/put in gear/key turned off-and so on, There are many ways to customize the way you like it. This is also true for the lights,mirrors,and some other doamahickies.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
My steering wheel has no controls on it.
Consider yourself lucky, the more crap in the wheel the more problems that can happen with it, I loved the cc in the wheel of my old Lincolns but when they have problems they can be a nightmare and expensive.

Hope the dealer doesn’t hose you to bad on the fix.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Consider yourself lucky, the more crap in the wheel the more problems that can happen with it, I loved the cc in the wheel of my old Lincolns but when they have problems they can be a nightmare and expensive.
X2, I work on a lot of Tacoma's, they have a spiral cable running up the steering column that runs all the steering wheel mounted buttons, it'll break if messed with.
I've replaced 6 for friends so far and it isnt my favorite job. You have to remove and disassemble the steering column, cant use a salvage yard part because they break when being removed, the new part cost $145 (at dealer cost) and it takes 6 hours to do the whole job.
I'm sure the GM ones are just as complicated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts