GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that GM did a good job at making a pretty good sounding system from the get go, and making the head unit look appealing? I sure like my 05 stereo so much that i just removed the after market pioneer for original. Got a good deal from a local car audio place that was ganna throw it away. Its got the cd and tape player for 20$. Alls i had to do was go get the radio modual programmed for my VIN. That was 100$ but well worth it to me cause even a reman one cost upwards of 500$. Just something to throw out there.:intello:

·
Registered
533 Posts
i'm still running stock even though i got the ipod, for mp3's and sirius radio running through it and a parrot blue tooth kit also :glasses:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, what kinda IPOD hook up you got going on? Eventually im ganna need one of those too. I want one that i can hard wire into the factory stereo and use my steering wheel controls to control my ipod. I heard its available but havent looked yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Most adapters of that nature are either FM modulators, or they hardwire in, and mimic a CD changer to the radio. The changer option's pretty nice, but, alot of times functionality is severly reduced. But, with the FM modulators, you have crappy sounds. It's a tradeoff I guess...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm not that impressed with the sound in my 07 Sierra. The head unit looks great in my opinion. I'll only replace it to put in the touchscreen. But i'll be adding some aftermarket speakers, subs and amps in the near future. there's just to many things on the to-do list and not enough money.:glasses:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sweet, what kinda IPOD hook up you got going on? Eventually im ganna need one of those too. I want one that i can hard wire into the factory stereo and use my steering wheel controls to control my ipod. I heard its available but havent looked yet.
i got that one it's done by prepherials ..gotta see if i got the box or something kicking around in the shop

my steering wheel controls the whole thing :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Cool, ill be awaiting an update on the missing shop box, lol.
it's a Peripheral Electronics - iSimple Apple iPod Interface for GM
Model: ISGM73 |

it plugs right into the factory radio just have to locate a ground and power

it charges the ipod at the same time and it runs through the steering wheel controls :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Actually, I've always been very disappointed with the factory GM stereo's. Even the "premium" upgraded systems like the Bose I have in my YD are just "acceptable." There is no bluetooth, no bass, highs are "OK," sat nav isn't very intuitive, maps are out of date, no MP3 or Aux inputs (GMT-800), and over all sound quality just isn't great. The only thing I like is the integration with everything, like rear audio, rear DVD, sat nav, steering controls, etc.

But most of that can be kept with an aftermarket system and the right adapters. The only thing holding me back is the factory warranty and the high cost of replacing everything. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Actually, I've always been very disappointed with the factory GM stereo's. Even the "premium" upgraded systems like the Bose I have in my YD are just "acceptable." There is no bluetooth, no bass, highs are "OK," sat nav isn't very intuitive, maps are out of date, no MP3 or Aux inputs (GMT-800), and over all sound quality just isn't great. The only thing I like is the integration with everything, like rear audio, rear DVD, sat nav, steering controls, etc.

But most of that can be kept with an aftermarket system and the right adapters. The only thing holding me back is the factory warranty and the high cost of replacing everything. :)
Huh?
Thats a pretty silly excuse not to replace it due to warranty issues there are some gm navigation systems out there or you could just hang on to the old system when there is a need for a warranty issue then plug the old unit back in. or just do what I did all you have listed I have already running through my factory radio exept the navigation i'm running a seperate harness for that one in turn still plugs into the back of the stock radio for audio :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Huh?
Thats a pretty silly excuse not to replace it due to warranty issues there are some gm navigation systems out there or you could just hang on to the old system when there is a need for a warranty issue then plug the old unit back in. or just do what I did all you have listed I have already running through my factory radio exept the navigation i'm running a seperate harness for that one in turn still plugs into the back of the stock radio for audio :)
Well, except I already have the GM nav system that it came with from the factory. :) And if I'm going to replace that, everything is getting replaced. New high-end NAV HU, speakers, and sub/amp. I think the last time I figured the price for everything I wanted, it was around $4k. That alone is enough to make me hold off for awhile.

Besides, it's not like the factory system sucks. It just doesn't live up to my relatively "high" expectations. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well, except I already have the GM nav system that it came with from the factory. :) And if I'm going to replace that, everything is getting replaced. New high-end NAV HU, speakers, and sub/amp. I think the last time I figured the price for everything I wanted, it was around $4k. That alone is enough to make me hold off for awhile.

Besides, it's not like the factory system sucks. It just doesn't live up to my relatively "high" expectations. :)
good point :great::glasses:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My factory deck was fine for me.

But the Delco only had a tape deck LOL I threw my tapes out years ago.
So I had no choice but aftermarket

·
Banned
372 Posts
This thread just makes me itch to get started on my stereo system in my suburban. Sure, the factory deck and components are fine, but I added a pair of 15" subs and a 1000w amp for each of them and it sounds a lot better. Thats just so I can have a little something to listen to because the real system is going to be a heart-stopper...literally.

I'll be putting in 4 Digital Design 9500 series 12" subs, 2x2000w amps per sub. I'm going to upgrade all the components plus add some 8" mid ranges in the rear doors and some 10" mid ranges in the front doors. I'll add a pair of 6x9s and 6 1/2" mids as well just to cover the whole spectrum with a couple of pairs of tweeters. Say goodbye to my back glass! lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah right. I have an 05 silverado and i went to my local car audio installer place and said hey guys if you ever get a GM in here from about 02 or to 07 with a factory radio your taking out ill buy it from you. 20 bucks later and an 03 Factory CD and tape player in one radio later i had a factory radio all my steering wheel buttons worked and it looked great. I did have to go to the dealer and pay the labor charge of 1 hr to get the radio modual programed for my vin to unlock the theft thingy.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
JayMack75 This thread just makes me itch to get started on my stereo system in my suburban. Sure, the factory deck and components are fine, but I added a pair of 15" subs and a 1000w amp for each of them and it sounds a lot better. Thats just so I can have a little something to listen to because the real system is going to be a heart-stopper...literally.

I'll be putting in 4 Digital Design 9500 series 12" subs, 2x2000w amps per sub. I'm going to upgrade all the components plus add some 8" mid ranges in the rear doors and some 10" mid ranges in the front doors. I'll add a pair of 6x9s and 6 1/2" mids as well just to cover the whole spectrum with a couple of pairs of tweeters. Say goodbye to my back glass! lol
That's gonna be insane!:great:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I guess I have out grown the loader is better idea. Maybe it’s to many years of live concerts or could it be my hearing has just been destroyed by the aforementioned.

But I like the factory units, radio wise anyway.

It’s a dam radio/tape/cd unit in a vehicle I drive to and from work, well I used to. Now days I just drive to and from the doctor.

Now the factory navigation systems by GM do bite the big one. Having to take out the music CD to use the navigation system is the stupidest set up I have ever heard of.

Personally I still have all my old cassettes so music is not a problem for me. And then if anything new comes out I can always make a cassette with my home system.

Besides CD’s are to fragile, don’t last as long either. Quality wise CD’s are better I suppose, but then I grew up listening to vinyl, (you know those big CD’s as my daughter calls them) with all the pops and hisses.

So I guess my vote, if we are voting goes for the factory radio/cassette/CD players.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My factory deck was fine for me.

i wanna put something like that in the section in the lower end section of the console where the two 12 ports sit ..alot of wasted space there and it bugs me

·
Banned
372 Posts
That's gonna be insane!:great:
Oh yeah it is. I used to have 4 12s of the same subs in my old show truck. I had to replace the windshied 2 or 3 times. I kept flexing it until it broke...lol! I only had 5,000w on those 12s...I'm putting over 3 times that on the new ones. Here's some pics of the old setup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts