GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 Sierra with a 4.8. I just ordered new tranny and PS lines. I figure since I'm going to have the grill and air dam out anyway maybe I should add an oil cooler.

Has anyone added an oil cooler to a 4.8? If so, how did you do it?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
You know how the auto tranny oil is cooled by running it through a coil that is inside the radiator, that is the normal way to cool engine oil.
I have the heavy duty trailer package and the oil cooler is in one side of the radiator. The tranny cooler is in the other side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know how the auto tranny oil is cooled by running it through a coil that is inside the radiator, that is the normal way to cool engine oil.
I have the heavy duty trailer package and the oil cooler is in one side of the radiator. The tranny cooler is in the other side.
My truck has H.D. Trailering Equipment Pkg and Snow Plow Prep Package but no oil cooler.

I'll look into the radiator cost and see what elese is needed to add it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
All vehicles with an automatic transmission have a built in cooler in the radiator regardless. RPO code "KNP" is HD cooling and "Z82" is the HD trailering provision. Look these codes up in your glove box to see what your truck has. You should be able to see the optional HD cooler through the grill it sits in front of the AC condenser and is about 8" x 10" in size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts