GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to do an electric fan swap on an 03 Silverado. It seems very silly to have to buy a bigger radiator just to be able to mount the dang thing. Couldn’t I just get different bolts and mount the fans and the radiator in the same holes? It’d save me many dollars as I’m a broke 16 year old. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
506 Posts
Once aligned, do the fan intakes open outside the face of the stock radiator? Meaning, is there a way the air could bypass the radiator with the fans you have? If so, air (being a fluid) will take the path of least resistance and may (probably will?) bypass the radiator.

This is really the only thing I can think of as long as all matching surfaces are properly mated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t received the fans yet but I will check when they come. If they are wider than the radiator I will probably just cut sheet metal to fit over the opening.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I installed a set of Cadillac Deville fans from a 2004 that I got at pull a part. They work grate. When I was looking for my fans, I was looking for a set of dual fans that would fit just inside the rad tanks rite against the core. The Deville fans were a perfect fit, but about 4 inches shorter. So I made the bottom bracket with a 90 degree bend, so that air can still flow over the last 4 inches of radiator. I spaced this about 1.5 inches off of the rad. I bent the sides ti close off the air flow, so it has to pass over the rad core, and can not pass around it. The top bracket, I made out of stainless, as I also did on the bottom. Keep in mind I am a welder, with many years fab exp. We do a lot of stainless, aluminum, and steel work at the shop, si I have access to everything I need to pull of the install.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Thanks for all the help!
Here is a link to my write up, on my fan swap. What I did, what I used, ect. If you have any questions, fell free to ask. Also I have it listed as Cadi., DTS fans, but I think it was a Deville as the engine in that cas was a V-8.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts