GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 05' Trailblazer with the I-6 engine. I understand the oil light will come on when new oil is needed. I have always done my own oil changes. I haven't got a chance to jack up and crawl under the TB. I once glanced under the hood, but I couldn't see the oil filter. My question... where is the oil filter and does anyone know any filter numbers? Also, I'm glad I found out that it takes 7 quarts of oil.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I don't have to worry about this becuase I'm living in rented space, and I don't have any room to do my oil changes (driveway is slanted at a 5% grade). So, I have just gone in every 5K to get it done by the pros.

There are several things that you have to be mindful of. First, yes - it does take 7 quarts of oil. That's key. Second, you may have to reset the change oil light if it's tripped (not sure about that, but I have heard rumors). Make certain that you do a good lube job too, beucase of the soft-tuned suspension. Finally, keep really good receipts for everything. If you need to have major warranty repair work done, say at 35K miles, you must show them that you have done proper maintenance.

I also used to change my own oil, but I also do freelance web-design, etc. I figured that I can make more money on a saturday throwing up a website than I can save money by doing my own oil change. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
tbjosh said:
I just bought a new 05' Trailblazer with the I-6 engine. I understand the oil light will come on when new oil is needed. I have always done my own oil changes. I haven't got a chance to jack up and crawl under the TB. I once glanced under the hood, but I couldn't see the oil filter. My question... where is the oil filter and does anyone know any filter numbers? Also, I'm glad I found out that it takes 7 quarts of oil.

OK, first off, never follow the light unless you run a 10,000mi synthetic like Amsoil or Royal Purple. I change my oil every 10,000mi because I run Amsoil, but before I ran Amsoil, it was 5k max on dino oil. So, basically, change your oil 2x before the light comes on, or about every 5k miles. It is a little more expensive, but that way you wont kill your engine. Also, since you TB is an 05, how many times have you changed the oil? On new engines, especially the 4.2L, you should have the oil changed at 500mi, yes, 500mi and then every 3-5,000 after that.

The oil filter is accessible form under the truck on the passengers side, or if you jack it up, you can get to it from the passengers side wheel well. For more information go to www.gmpartsclub.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts