GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I changed oil in my new 2011 GMC Sierra (4.3L V6) for the first time the other day. It had 729 miles on it at that exact moment. Since it was a first oil change and I plan on changing to Mobil 1 synthetic at 3000 miles, I just bought some Quaker State 5W30 that was on sale at the parts house (and an ACDelco filter). I figured that since it wouldn't be in there very long that I'd just grab something a bit more economical. WELL, I just remembered the new DEXOS requirement. The truck has a little over 800 miles on it now. While I don't think I have destroyed anything (the Quaker State oil says it's GM6094M compatible but NOT dexos compatible) am I going to do any damage running this stuff until 3000 miles? Do I need to drain it right away? I felt so good about changing it early and flushing out any metal shavings. Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished. Thanks folks!

Neil

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club, Neil. I think I would change the oil for the proper type. Its cheap insurance. I think the oil filter would be o.k. to leave until you make the change to Mobil1.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts