GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a week ago I started a flat bed conversion on my 1998 GMC Sonoma. I search the internet high and low for guidance on hole placement, ride height and other things to find nothing. I am a structural steel fitter so proper dimensions are my pet peeve. I was not going to have the truck when I was building the frame so it was extremely important to get it right. The next few days I will share my experience in this project to hopefully save people some time. I'll check back in a few.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the bed comes off with just 8 bolts, the taillight wiring harness and a couple bolts for the filler kneck. The bolts were wound in to inserted threads so it was pretty easy to get them out. Very accessible with an extension. Flipping it off wasnt to bad. Not that heavy. Especially if you have a buddy. The gas tank was next to go. It was a **** show. Here I just cut the straps with a cutting wheel. The new tank for 110 bucks came with them. The tricky part was the frame cradle for the tank on the driver side. 4 bolts that came free but the lower left was obstructed by the emergency brake cable. And also the frame bracket for the tank was extremely corroded. It is not only for helping the truck carry the weight of the tank but also ties the front fuel tank strap down. The after market fuel tank straps are not fully transferable for the factory front strap is pressed into the bracket. Good drill bits will be needed to get them out. Pretty annoying so I fabricated my own bracket out of angle 2x2 angle iron I had laying around. Pictures soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All in all this cost me around 300 bucks. Keep in mind all the angle and c channel for the bumper I didnt pay for though. I just dumpster dived at work in out scrap bin. With permission. Fuel tank. Wood. Straps. Trailer lights. Nuts. Bolts are what cost. Took 40 total hours. Truck has only 60k on it so why not right?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
That turned out great, Dude. Nice work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts