GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasnt quite sure what category to put this in but figured id get the most feedback here. I drive a 2010 Silverado 5.3L. Im looking at ordering a flowmaster 40 series muffler but not quite sure what size inlet i need to order. Any help here?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Probably ought to climb under the truck and take a few measurements.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
You should have 2.5 inch stock exhaust and would need the inlet to accomodate that. I would recommend welding the muffler versus clamps. Thats just my personal opinion from my experience. If you are planning to have duals make sure that you get the muffler that has dual exits. You will like the new sound. I have the 40 series flowmasters on mine and it sounds nasty! I went with the true duals though. Good Luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your more than likely looking at a 2.5" inlet and outlet. I would just take the truck to a local muffler shop and have them get the size for it.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Flowmasters website recommends part # 953047. Its a 40 series with 3" inlet/outlet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
buddy of mine has and 08 and he had 3" in and 2 3/4" out fit was perfect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, the exhaust is currently stock. thanks for the info guys. within the next couple of weeks i should have a few more things done. ill be sure and post pictures....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just thought id mention...i have a 2011 5.3 silverado my inlet is 2.75 '' and my outlet is 2.75 ''. I just ordered a magnaflow my self 3'' in and out. let me know what you did to convert the 2.75 to 3 inch for your flowmaster.

·
Registered
124 Posts
do all you people changing your exhaust have tuners or are you just doing it and dealing with the AFM issue. just curious cause I really miss having a loud truck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not quite sure what exactly and AFM is....i dont have a tuner and wasnt aware you needed one in order to do a simple upgrade as and exhaust....haha, but id surely like to know what im dealing with before i dive in....

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The AFM sensor is before the cats. If you're doing a catback system you don't need to touch the sensor. If you're replacing before the cats it's a whole different story. X2 what silveradotrailblazer said, stock is a single 3" pipe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was under the impression if you did anything to exhaust other than stock you end up with a helicopter noise. Im not meaning to take over this thread

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have also heard that with the new trucks when the engine goes to down to 4 cylinders there is a ping sound that comes from the exhaust. And I was told the solution for that was to get a tuner like a Diablo Predetor to stop shutting off the cylinders. If this is incorrect can someone set me straight.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have never heard of a ping sound when i had dualled straights and also with my new true dual flowmaster 40 series with 3 1/2 by 18 inch gloss black exhaust tips. Sometimes it seem's like it get's louder when the 4 cylinders kick in but it's just a deeper tone but not really noticable at all. I will be installing a magnaflow x pipe soon to give me a lil bit more hp and low end torque and can get one for about 75$ so not bad at all for a true x pipe. I can tell a good difference with the Flowmaster 40 series dual muffler along with tip's and k&N air filter and will update to let everyone know what difference i feel from the x pipe i will order it sometime this week and have installed by end of week. The next mod's will be a Hypertech power programmar and high flow cat's soon to follow some long tube header's and might upgrade to a cold air intake but from what i heard it's not really worth the money just make's the air flow louder...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 40 put on my 08 sierra, and when it went into 4 banger mode it, reminded me of the pod racers from STAR WARS episode one The Phantom Menace. It was just fine. ALOT of people gripe about this sound, it is kinda love it/hate it i guess.....Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ha yeah somethin must be wrong i guess idk i have never heard this sound lol that's kinda funny they hear that but hopefully i don't havent since i installed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts