GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a flowmaster exhaust for the suburban. The old one is like swiss cheese. Anyone use flowmaster? I think it has the 50 big block series muffler on it which is supposed to be the most tame in their line. I payed 245 for it from summit.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
flowmaster is good stuff... the 50 series is not that loud but still gives a nice tone.... im hoping it was 245 for the whole cat back?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep 254 with shipping for the cat back. I have been dealing with a loud drony exhaust since I've had the truck. It's not aftermarket, just rotted and loud. At first I thought it was cool but on the highway it just annoys me. I figured that flowmaster made good stuff and the 50 series was one of their quietest mufflers. We'll see how it sounds, maybe I'll post a video or something. :great:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Congratulations, the Flowmaster's a good choice. :party:
My experience: The 4-year OEM muff on my '93 C1500 Burb self destructed while going over a cattle guard, at 63K miles. The baffles were loose and the shaking of the guard was the final straw. I replaced it with a Flowmaster, Zoom, zoom, varoom! It was the 'quietest' one available at the time, but my wife complained about it being much louder than OEM. After 8-years of service, it developed a few holes from rust worms. I messed around with patches for about 6-months and then went with a total new exhaust from the collectors (Summit's CARB approved shorties). I stayed 3-inch with a Magnaflow 3 x 3 converter and a Flowmaster 3 x 3 70 Series Big Block II can. This set up is quieter, and flows better than the big 40 and the OEM converter. The OEM tail pipe (side exit) rusted thru at the first bend near the muff. I think moisture concentrated at this bend may have contributed to the first Flowmaster's rust worms. The new tail pipe exits under the bumper. Perhaps I'll get more than 8-years out of this latest set up.
(eBay: Cat $65, Can $115. Local hook-up: torch, tubes and trinkets $120.)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got the exhaust today, two days after I ordered it with just regular free shipping :gasp:. Used a die grinder to get the old one off and got some new bolts for the flange. The new one bolted right up! I'd say that me and a friend maybe did about 30 minutes of real actual work. I love the sound of it, its quiet in the low rpms driving nicely but loud if I get on it. My old one was really drony on the highway so I pretty much avoided them all together. With the new one its nice and quiet on the highway and I think it has a more power too. :great: I would definitely recommend this exhaust, it's easy to set up and looks and sounds good too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i've got a 91 suburban with a 350...im in the process of putting headers, dual 3" exhaust with 40 series Flowmasters on it for summer

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
pretty mellow

I had a 40 series on my 2002 and it was pretty tame.. then i went with straight... MY 2006 i went with borla. That is really tame and mellow but it definately has some snap when you put the hammer down. good luck and rember that every engine sounds just a bit different and ever persons idea of good sounding (like a miata with a straight pipe) is different to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts