GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a modern chevy 2001 vortec 6 be flushed clean with a 50/50 mix of engine oil and diesel and run for 5 minutes..???e...
what say ye...????

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's a good question. I'd like to know that one.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I wouldn't.
Just use motor flush "stuff" I think there are several manufacturers of various engine flush.
50% diesel doesn't have much lubricating properties.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I wouldnt try it.
With the Diesel mix the viscosity wont be thick enough and it wont stick on parts it needs to, while some places that get an oil bath might be sufficient other places that rely on spray and drip method oiling wont get enough lubrication.
Just use a motor flush product.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
i agree with no trying it and just going out and buying the motor "flush" stuff, better safe than sorry on that

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Put some seafoam in your crankcase about 100 miles before you plan on changing your oil. Just follow the instructions on the can. I've used it several times with impressive results.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How did I forget about Seafoam?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seafoam is naptha,deisel is oil.HMMMM.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Diesel is a product of oil, but its not lubricating oil theres a big difference between lubricating oil and Diesel.
With Seafoam your only using a few ounces not a fifty/fifty mix.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Put some seafoam in your crankcase about 100 miles before you plan on changing your oil. Just follow the instructions on the can. I've used it several times with impressive results.
This works. Check your dipstick each day after putting the Seafoam in. Depending on how dark your oil is now, and how dirty the crankcase is, you can gaue the cleaning progress. First time I did this I went from golden/brown to jet black in a few days, about 150 miles. When I took the filter off it weighed about five pounds. There was sludge coming out of the clean side of the filter, the dirty side was completely full. And I had cleaned my valve covers before doing this. That was about 25K ago, at 185k. Been running Mobil 1 since then, 5k intervals. I have cut every filter open since then, they have gotten progressively cleaner. Last oil change the filter was practically spotless. Ready for another change, so I put a pint of Seafoam in the case last week. Drove about 200 miles, the oil barely changed color. Did the oil change today, cut the filter open. The dirty side was a little blacker than last time, but very clean. No sludge at all.

So - Seafoam is a great way to clean your crankcase. Mobil 1 is a great oil to keep your crankcase clean.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like I need to buy a case of Seafoam.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You won't need a case, just a can or two. It does, however, have uses in a lot of machinery, including lawnmowers and outboard motors.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I was going to say he doesn't need a case, then realized he has three trucks. That's nine cans right there.

I buy it by the gallon can.

·
Registered
114 Posts
[HR][/HR][HR][/HR]
I was going to say he doesn't need a case, then realized he has three trucks. That's nine cans right there.

I buy it by the gallon can.
:gasp:They sell it by the gallon?! Right on!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts