GM Truck Club Forum banner

Would you put a manual transmission in a burb? --multiple choice poll

• I would consider converting to manual transmission.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I already have converted to manual trans.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I never considered it until now.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • More work than it's worth.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I'm happy with the auto trans in my burb.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • I have no opinion.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I don't own a burb (stop exlcuding me!)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • My favorite color is blue

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
i heard it done and since it is based on the truck this should be an easy swap if well planed out. you will need the pedal assembly and the tranny and might need to swap the drive shaft. you want to search and make notes and take pictures and a plan then once all is in place swap it out.....mike

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i heard it done and since it is based on the truck this should be an easy swap if well planed out. you will need the pedal assembly and the tranny and might need to swap the drive shaft. you want to search and make notes and take pictures and a plan then once all is in place swap it out.....mike
Wow, you jumped on that thread. I hadn't even completed the poll, and you had already responded....:lol:
Good advice though!:great:

·
1,457 Posts
Why would you even consider coverting a Suburban to a manual transmission?
Over here we convert a manual to an automatic it's the American way to drive. :rules:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why would you even consider coverting a Suburban to a manual transmission?
Over here we convert a manual to an automatic it's the American way to drive. :rules:
I have to agree. I've NEVER owned an automatic transmission vehicle in over 15 years, the Suburban is my first one with an automatic.

I don't know why you would want an manual either. In all my other cars they are sport vehicles, so that is different. Suburban is a cruiser. There's no way I would convert it.

I would like it to have an 6 speed or 7 speed automatic though. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
I take it this for late model Suburbans?
I've seen as late as 1991 Suburban's with 5spd's. The U.S. Navy and Air Force used them at overseas bases, and the Canadians had some at Comox and Cold Lake.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I take it this for late model Suburbans?
I've seen as late as 1991 Suburban's with 5spd's. The U.S. Navy and Air Force used them at overseas bases, and the Canadians had some at Comox and Cold Lake.
Ah see! Theres that Canadian connection again. We're everywhere, man.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel that having the automatic is great, but sometimes when I'm towing, I find that the 4l80e just doesn't seem to have a clue when it should be in what gear. It's times like that, when I would rather have a manual. So I'm on the fence. Depends on what I'm using it for.

I don't intend to converting, but I just wanted to see what our members were thinking.

BTW: Go Gary Go, Blue all the way!!!:great:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
No more manual labor

When I was twenty I said I'd never own an automatic. Now that I'm fifty, I'm not sure I'd ever buy another car with a stick. Unless of course it was like those cool F1 cars with paddle shifters and a clutch that only had to be used from a dead start. I did run a Lenco in a drag car.....that would be a rad trans to have in a burb.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
When I was twenty I said I'd never own an automatic. Now that I'm fifty, I'm not sure I'd ever buy another car with a stick. Unless of course it was like those cool F1 cars with paddle shifters and a clutch that only had to be used from a dead start. I did run a Lenco in a drag car.....that would be a rad trans to have in a burb.
I have seen that used. Remember the 86 Hurst/Olds Unplugged with the lightning rod shifters. That was kinda cool for its time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts