GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "90 4x4 with 245k and would like to make improvements, larger tires and wheels but, I've heard that the frames are weak on the 1500s. I'm usually in snow when I go north in the winter or mud about any time.
I don't plan on doing any rock crawling. Would I be wasting time and money on this one, and should I go find a 3/4 ton and start there?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have an old '86 2 wheel drive with 300k+ and lots body rot but the frame is fine and we are living in Maine now, all though we did have it in Tenn. for 5 years before moving back here to maine.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a 1500, can't help you there. I would be surprised to hear that there was a weak frame for any year of the burban, but I could be wrong...

·
Registered
42 Posts
the weak spot on the 73 thru 91 trucks, blazers and suburbans is righht between the steering box mounting bolts. larger tires creat more resistance on the road, thus putting alot of extra stress on the frame where the steering box mounts. if you are using 33' or smaller tires you should not have too much trouble if the frame is solid. any bigger tires will give you a problem. there are several manufacturers that sell a brace to strengthen that area before it breaks. if it is already broken they also sell a kit to repair and strengthen it. the frame on the 1/2 thru 1 ton is not any different in that area, so moving up to a 3/4 ton will not prevent the breaking. GM platform builds everything they can to cut down on production costs and the frames are one of those areas where they can get away using the same part across the board.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Hmm, my tires are smaller than 33" so I'm safe I suppose. Is this a well known issue?

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Keep us up to date on that project. BTW, are you in the city of Plano, Texas, or is that just a name?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Steve said:
Keep us up to date on that project. BTW, are you in the city of Plano, Texas, or is that just a name?
I was going to ask the same thing, but he mentioned snow and mud and there hasn't been any of either around here lately. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Plano, the mud and snow I manage to get in is in north east Kansas. Wife's mother is there and a couple fishing buddys of mine. Usually some snow on the ground around Christmas but, nothing a 4X4 suburban can't handle.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Well, I grew up in the Northwest, I can live with no snow down here and having to drive to get into it. I like to head west to New Mexico though.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I grew up in Plano (moved there when I was 10 months old (1968)) and still work there. In fact, my dad is currently running for Mayor there, so any help would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're going to think I made this one up. I needn't worry about a weak frame anymore. A minivan took me out Friday, pushed the drivers door in about a foot and bent the floor pan in and up. I think it's a goner. Now I'm looking for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Sorry about your accident, I hope you didn't get hurt. My dad has an '89 two wheel drive he is getting ready to sell. It's not the prettiest thing you have ever seen, but it runs good.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Yeah, at least you were in a Suburban when you got hit. A lot more protection around you. Hope everything is ok.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We had our '01 Burb for less than 2 weeks when my wife hit a stopped log truck. Didnt scratch the log truck but did over $9000 in damage to the Sub. She was only going about 25 mph, but it hit high enough to miss the bumper so it shoved the rad support back into the engine, destroying everything in its path. Set off both airbags when the log truck bumper hit the engine block. No one was hurt, except for her pride, but the Sub is definetly not indestructible. I would post pictures, but i dont know how. It has been in the body shop for two and a half weeks, that is half a week longer than she had it.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts