GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found some rust in my frame that I didn't notice when buying the truck unfortunately. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how bad this is.. it's only in this one spot not all the way around yet.. the rusted chunks were leaning up against the hole making it look normal at a glance 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
357 Posts
I recently found some rust in my frame that I didn't notice when buying the truck unfortunately. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how bad this is.. it's only in this one spot not all the way around yet.. the rusted chunks were leaning up against the hole making it look normal at a glance 🤦‍♂️ View attachment 167377
View attachment 167374 View attachment 167375 View attachment 167376
Sorry, but in my opinion you're one good pothole away from catastrophe. The part of the frame that supports the sway bar and more importantly the A frame looks like it could break away anytime.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but in my opinion you're one good pothole away from catastrophe. The part of the frame that supports the sway bar and more importantly the A frame looks like it could break away anytime.
Is there a way to fix it? Like welding a plate in that spot

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would take it to a frame shop for an assessment and estimate. You will have to decide if you're throwing good money after bad. If I was having it repaired, I would have all and more of the rotted section cut out, and a replacement section of frame rail or channel iron welded in and an overlapping piece of flat steel welded in to the inside for additional rereinforcement.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
A proper repair is to cut out the rust, and replace it with new metal. You never want to put a patch over rust. If you do, the rust will just come rite back. The real issue is to find someone who know what they are doing to do the repair. Also what shape is the rest of the frame in? If that spot looks like that, what does the rest of the frame look like?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
There are a lot of good solid trucks here in the south, and I know the west has them too. IDK if its an option for you to travel, but you could always look out of your area for a donor truck. I see them every now and then for around $500. You know, bad trans, bad engine, ect.

Reactions: FireInTheSky

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are a lot of good solid trucks here in the south, and I know the west has them too. IDK if its an option for you to travel, but you could always look out of your area for a donor truck. I see them every now and then for around $500. You know, bad trans, bad engine, ect.
I'll look into that, maybe even able to find one in MN that just doesn't have that same rust spot, not sure I would be able to go down south pick up a truck but it's a possibility. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
this winter i think would be a good time to head south, who knows you might like it here, no snow, mild winters , but hot summers
Yea, it almost never snows here. Im 61 years old, and havent seen snow 10 times in my life. It is frickin HOT in the summer though. Mid to high 90 for 3 or 4 months, and humid also. July and August are the worse. AC is a must.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
115 Posts
What rust? What are you talkin' about, dude? Around here in New England, that's considered "a good solid plow truck" or "just this close to pristine!" Or "excellent winter beater"

But seriously, that thing looks like its gonna fall apart like a table cracked in half with a sledge hammer.

If you can find a doner frame, and the body and drive train is VERY, VERY GOOD, then it might be worth a frame off

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Well you folks in the northern central America get this RUST problem most likely worst than anywhere else. before I retired, I worked as a fabricator/ welder, and Like Kenny said, you can't weld rust, can't even strike an arc. So the only thing is cut back to solid metal. That means taking the cab off and getting a GOOD LOOK at the problem. This I suggest first. Then have a skilled shop look at the damage and do an assessment, that way you're not throwing away money with come back areas. A good shop will know if the frame is salvageable. Good Luck !

·
Registered
697 Posts
How many miles and what year? If it's way up there and you put a lot of money into it for this rust, then the trans goes or the engine dies, etc. The sway bar is bolted to what doesn't look good. When you took the pictures, the camera flash put down shadows that make it look like there are gaping holes. Someone or you put on new tie rods. Good luck with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts