GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title shows I am coming over from the darkside. I just traded in my 01 Ford Ranger, for my new 05 Silverado z71, Extended cab. Just thought I would introduce myself as I troll through the threads here.

Quick question however, has anyone used the Truxedo Plus tonneau cover? It has a tonneau with an integrated tool box. Basically I am looking to do both tonneau and toolbox, but is the price for the truxedo brand really worth it? I could buy a box and a tonneau separately but I want to make sure they do not leak, because right now my bed does not have a liner in it. I might get Line-x or rhino, but not right away. Any suggestions or comments for or against the truxedo plus would be appreciated.

Thanks

AJ

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the right side:money:

I have only seen the Truxedo Plus advertized on thier site but I have the standard Truxedo Truxsport tonneau cover on my 06 Silverado and it's the shiznit! Mine was only about $260 of Ebay but I see that the Plus is around $840. It's a nice looking setup but what I like about mine is that it rolls up to allow full use of the bed for cargo.

Also, this is me second truck with Lin-X and it's awesome!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the original Truxedo on my ranger, and it was great. However, I have tools that I use almost everyday, especially in the summer and i usually just have them in a toolbox inside my bed under the tonneau. I have been upgrading the tools and I really do not want to worry about them being stolen, thats basically why I am looking to get a box and a tonneau. The loss of 20" of bed space would be regrettable, but I think it is worth it to insure my tools don't get legs and walk away on me.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I had the original Truxedo on my ranger, and it was great. However, I have tools that I use almost everyday, especially in the summer and i usually just have them in a toolbox inside my bed under the tonneau. I have been upgrading the tools and I really do not want to worry about them being stolen, thats basically why I am looking to get a box and a tonneau. The loss of 20" of bed space would be regrettable, but I think it is worth it to insure my tools don't get legs and walk away on me.
You sure got that right! I use mostly Snap-on tools and if I had to carry more than what would fit under my rear seat, I would invest in a set-up like you want. Good choice:great:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I work construction in the summer months. So very few of the tools that i use quite often would actually fit inside my truck. So I will probably be at least going with a toolbox and a line-x. Or maybe the whole thing, Line-x first so I can prevent rust until i gather enough money to get the truxedo plus.

On a side note. I bought the truck used from a GM dealership and it was certified, which means I still have the 2.5 years and 100,000 miles worth of a warranty. Would a cat-back exhaust system and an intake and/or throttle body spacer void my warranty? I really do not want to have to take all of that off if i have to take it in for work or anything.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
:lol:I guess it would be hard to stash power saws and such under the seat.
I have Cold air intakes on both the 2001 Suburban and 2006 Silverado/Duramax diesel and have had warranty work with no probs. I will be installing a cat-back exhaust which will not void my warranty. I have been told before to contact the service manager at your local deal to find out for sure when in doubt. You might consider a Hypertech programmer as well.:money:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure how deep, in debt, and in depth i want to go into doing anything to the truck though. Since i know once i start doing stuff to it, it wont stop hah. For now I need to keep my mind on the essentials, Liner, tonneau, toolbox. Then i will go from there, hah

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Yeah I work construction in the summer months. So very few of the tools that i use quite often would actually fit inside my truck. So I will probably be at least going with a toolbox and a line-x. Or maybe the whole thing, Line-x first so I can prevent rust until i gather enough money to get the truxedo plus.

On a side note. I bought the truck used from a GM dealership and it was certified, which means I still have the 2.5 years and 100,000 miles worth of a warranty. Would a cat-back exhaust system and an intake and/or throttle body spacer void my warranty? I really do not want to have to take all of that off if i have to take it in for work or anything.
See my post regarding the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah thank you :) ill mod away

1 - 10 of 10 Posts