GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanic wants 750 to replace them, does that seem reasonable?

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
ASsuming this is for you '97 Suburban:

Autozone lists the part at $200+/side=~$450 in parts
leaves ~$300 [email protected]$60-100/hr=3-5 hours for both sides.

Seems reasonable to me. I'd ask them to break it down into parts and labor, and call a couple of other shops to see if everyone's consistent. If you can afford the time, you might look at a repair manual and see if it's something you want to tackle yourself and save the labor cost.

·
Registered
109 Posts
is it a 4x4 or 4x2? Makes a time factor issue there. if it is 4x2 it is pretty easy 3 bolts and a BFH will get it out. 4x4 u will have to pop the upper ball joint to get the CV joint out of the way then it is the same 3 bolts and a BFH....

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I love my BFH’s, I have several. Ranging from 2 lbs to 40.

Never start anything without a BFH handy. You never know when you are going to need it.

Oh ya everything he said is right.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Sounds about par to me too. My K5 I seem to remember it being expensive too.

Good luck with it :great:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yea, its a 4x4 on the burban. I went ahead and had them do the work, its a mechanic I have used for several years, I just thought I would check in on this issue and make sure it wasn't crazy. I had him replace the oil sender unit as well, as the oil guage was bouncing like a pogo stick and it just annoyed me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I went and picked the truck up yesterday evening. It is so much quieter now, its almost as quiet as my GTI! The oil guage doesn't bounce anymore, but it ready steady at 60 all the way home, should it be that high? I assume that it should be at 40, since that is the center of the guage.

·
Super Moderator
3,403 Posts
On my 91 Sub, it runs 60PSI for quite some time, usually it takes a decent amounf of interstate driving before it'll drop it's pressure to 45psi when idleing. I wouldn't think it should go any lower than 30PSI, or you have a problem on your hands....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so 60 isn't neccisarily high, it should run about there when cold? Thats good to know. I just assumed it was probably bad since it wasn't centered on the guage.

Thanks for the help guys!.

The battlewagon will make the trip up to Amarillo for Christmas, I will tell you how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts