GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Help, I just bought a 96 SIERRA Z71 and im not very fond of the positrack style 4wd i dont mind the push button ease but id like to lock the front tires so they both pull. is it possible to put manual lockers on my truck if i have push button 4x4?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your IFS front end is not very fond of "Lockers" (Detroit, ARB, OX). Manual locking hubs (Warn, Superwinch) are a different animal all together than a "Locker". A locker is installed in the differential, and engages both axle shafts to spin as one. Manual locking hubs are generally used on a straight axle 4x4 and engage the wheel hub to the axle shaft. Even though you may have a locking hub on both wheels, unless you have a locker in the diff you'll still send power to the wheel with less traction. With an IFS front end like you have, your best bet is a limited slip differential. Less stress and more traction than you currently have.

Hope this helps.

G.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ifs

The front differential in your truck, if it's like my 98 Tahoe, is only an 8.2" gear - which you'll find is not a very familiar locker size. Also, the other components within the IFS are quite frail - so if you DID get a locker in there ... you're gonna find the next weakest link in the system, REAL FAST.

Keep in mind, front axle "locked", no steering and even MORE stress on your transfer case chain.

CJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts