GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if removing the front lower air dam on the gmt800 silverado actually has an effect on mpg?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes it does GM wouldn't have put it on if it didn't. Look around just about every vehicle made lately has an air dam. Removal will decrease fuel economy 0.5-1 mpg.

·
Registered
12,788 Posts
Mine came off in a snow bank a few winters ago, and I haven't bothered to compare.
It is suppose to help with mpg and I would say it has some effort or GM wouldn't spend the money to have it there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
airdam and side skirts help prevent turbulent layer under the car forming drag.

On 5he other hand, 5hose features make the suburban pretty much useless for any actual real off pavement work, or even driving through only 7 inches of snow as kiss all that plastic goodbye as snow rips off the front end ( that suburbans up to 2002 bulled through just fine, old squarebodies we own routinely go through several feet drifts up higher than bumper level just fine due to designers then meaning metal bumpers were to be actually used)

·
Registered
12,788 Posts
The air dams come off very easily, two to four bolts and a bunch of interlocking clips, a 10 min job.
I usually remove mine in the fall, I few years ago, I forgot and got into a snow bank. Broke the damn dam, haha.
I take it off the car as well; but one day see didn't see a parking lot curb and broke hers.
Both are in the basement waiting for me to fix them.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
The air dams come off very easily, two to four bolts and a bunch of interlocking clips, a 10 min job.
I usually remove mine in the fall, I few years ago, I forgot and got into a snow bank. Broke the damn dam, haha.
I take it off the car as well; but one day see didn't see a parking lot curb and broke hers.
Both are in the basement waiting for me to fix them.
my family member removed his air dam .. we live in snow belt so it is not gonna work ..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Between the down-front rake on these new trucks and that chin-strap of a front air dam, I'm kinda off put. I suppose putting 2 inch taller Bilsteins in the front would be half a solution

·
Registered
12,788 Posts
Installing 2" taller shocks will do nothing but break the 2" taller shocks on the first bump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah Ray, point taken. I've had older trucks with torsion bars and a jeep with separate coil springs and shocks. Havent had a chance to raise my recently acquired 2014 Sierra and was a little loose with my wording. I presume there is a longer coil over that can be installed to raise the front, no?

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
many use spring spacers and then install a longer shock rod .bilstein shocks are working .not a taller shock body.
2 inches or less will work .. a load of gm truck owners with front coil springs did not like the spring sag.. that is why they did this front end lift. also driver side sag because of fuel tank load and driver load.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
air dams will provide slightly higher MPG at high speeds. in snow country dump them . lift the truck up then air dam will not give the MPG gain. some truck owners OFF ROADERS placed covers under the truck which reduces wind resistance.
also protect rocks from under body damage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is leveled right now and sitting on 33s. I’m in SW OH so occasional snow but definitely not snow belt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts