GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 Cevy Silverado 1500 4X4. the front left(drivers side) wheel bearing went bad on my trck. i cannot belive this. i have own chevys and only chevys since i started to drive. it is out of warranty and i am going to the dealer tomorrow and i am going to try and get chevy to step in and cover it. there is no reason for this to happen at 62000 miles. i already call gm about it and they say i need to bring it to the dealer so that they can diagnosis it. they also said that since i am not the origanl owner(but it a year ago with 39000 miles) and i service it myself that it is already looking on the negitive side. they told me that if i took it to the local dealer it looks better and they would lube that bearing at a oil change. thats bs b/c there is no grease zerk on that bearing housing. it is non serviceable. i know this is bs because i deal with powersport manufactors on a daily basis and know that if they have a bearing problem like this they should take it up with the vendor and take care of the customer. chevy will loss a diehard customer if they do not step up here. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS BEARING FAILURE?

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
46 Posts
well i havent heard about this problem from anyone before it is a little odd

but that being said stuff breaks on cars/trucks its a fact of life,and its just a wheel bearing its not like the transmission dropped or anything..

I wouldnt go from a life long chevy fan to never buying a chevy again because of a wheel bearing

·
Registered
29 Posts
I work for a Volvo dealer. The XC90 suv's can't keep a rear wheel bearing past 20k miles, it's rediculous. They are sealed units just like the one on your truck. At 62k maybe a little early, but not unexpected, it happens. Ya manufacture a million wheel bearings, a few of them are bound to go bad early. You just happened to get one. There is something to be said about having a relationship with your dealer. I've seen alot of leeway and or special treatment to good customers at my Chevy dealer and the place I work for. I make it a point to treat my service dept the way I would like to be treated when I bring my trucks in and sometimes bring them a box of donuts. A little courtesy goes a long way. You're way out of warranty and don't go to the dealer regularly. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Yeah, I agree. 62K is pretty early, especially becuase moderate problems like this are becomming more rare, not more frequent.

I saw a chart on the number of serious problems reported for all car manufacturers. 99.7% of all new vehicles have nothing wrong in the first 1 year, 15k miles. It drops off after that a bit, but it's still not all that bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
YES I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM

yes, I have had this problem. And it occured for me around 60K miles. Was very expensive to have fixed. In fact. On my 2003 Silverado; have had both front wheel bearings go out now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WHEEL BEARINGS

I HAVE HAD BOTH OF MINE TO GO OUT
PASSENGER SIDE 37500
DRIVER SIDE 38750

04 Z71 CHEVY
AT LEAST MY 95 WAITED UNTIL 140,000[/b]

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE: WHEEL BEARINGS

One of my wifes interns had them go on here 2000 impala, it's an easy repair, an hour of your time.

Any car can have a wheel bearing go, at any mileage. altho I think that is a little low mileage.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RE: WHEEL BEARINGS

I had a 1962 GMC 3/4 pickup that had a wheel bearing go out. NOOO telling how many miles were on that. I ended up finding a guy who wanted to turn her into a hot rot, so I sold it w/o fixing it.

1 Posts
Front wheel bearing problems

I have a 2003 2500 HD with 95000 and I am on my 2nd front right wheel bearing. I paid to have the first one replaced at the dealer at 85000. I refuse to pay for the second so I have it parked until I get it resolved with the dealer. This is my last Chevy not only because of this but for the list of items below that all happened after the 36000 warranty.

2 intermediate steering shafts (one under warranty) @ 30000 & 60000
Heater fan only works on 5 highest setting @ 92000
2 Front wheel bearings @ 85000 & 95000
Back brakes due to sticking calipers at 40000 miles
Speedometer reads 60 miles /hr over actual @ 92000
(Yes at 60 shows 120, Fast truck ah!)
Power mirrors dont work (fixed three times under warranty)
Torsion bar mounts (Rubber insert disinegrated) @ 80000
Transfer case shifter rattles (have to stick a rag in to keep it quite) since day one. Dealer packs grease around it to keep quite until the first car wash.

I can only imagine I this truck ever went off road. I might not make it back!

:eek:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Let's keep our cool here

I have a 2003 2500 HD with 95000 and I am on my 2nd front right wheel bearing. I paid to have the first one replaced at the dealer at 85000. I refuse to pay for the second so I have it parked until I get it resolved with the dealer. This is my last Chevy not only because of this but for the list of items below that all happened after the 36000 warranty.

2 intermediate steering shafts (one under warranty) @ 30000 & 60000
Heater fan only works on 5 highest setting @ 92000
2 Front wheel bearings @ 85000 & 95000
Back brakes due to sticking calipers at 40000 miles
Speedometer reads 60 miles /hr over actual @ 92000
(Yes at 60 shows 120, Fast truck ah!)
Power mirrors dont work (fixed three times under warranty)
Torsion bar mounts (Rubber insert disinegrated) @ 80000
Transfer case shifter rattles (have to stick a rag in to keep it quite) since day one. Dealer packs grease around it to keep quite until the first car wash.

I can only imagine I this truck ever went off road. I might not make it back!

:eek:
I'd like to address the last two post in the following way.
  1. I think we can all agree that you're frustrated with your situation. However I'm not sure what you hoped to accomplish by posting this thread here. It's quite obvious you were trying to make a statement, and certainly it was not an attempt at meaningful conversation in the hopes of being guided to get help with your issues. This much is obvious by your user ID.Your issues would be better handled by either going to "another" dealer, or perhaps a lawyer if you feel you have a legitimate case. Now then, with that being said, I would hope that you do keep us informed as to your progress with your problems. Additionally if you like we can gladly change your user name to something that is less belligerent, all you need do is ask.
  2. Lastly, just a reminder to all of our members that this board was created to foster a community of individuals who can both offer helpful and meaningful advice to those who may need it about GM vehicles, and learn a thing or two themselves. Certainly making judgments of someone's character is not a means to that end.
Any subsequent posts that reflect this kind of undesired behavior in this thread will be deleted.

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
front wheel bearing keeps bleeding

Help!!!!!
I have 98 Sub C1500 (110K) , 2 wheel drive and I have replaced the front wheel bearing twice (paying attention to pack them in grease really well) but those keep bleeding (wet oily marks running from t he center of the wheel). I have tried two different brand of grease but same problem. What am I doing wrong??????

Thank you guys.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts