GM Truck Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the correct way to take off the the filter? i know where its at but i cant seem to take it off. i put the 5/8 flare nut wrench on the fuel line and the back up wrench the fuel filter but i dont know the which way the back up wrench is supposed to go! need help Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The nut on the fuel line will turn counter clockwise and the filter will stay still.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not sure what you drive so this may be completely useless but... I've got a 98 Suburban and Haynes manual says to relieve the fuel pressure prior to removing the filter. I've done my own experimenting and ignored that little tidbit of advice with zero adverse effects.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm not sure what you drive so this may be completely useless but... I've got a 98 Suburban and Haynes manual says to relieve the fuel pressure prior to removing the filter. I've done my own experimenting and ignored that little tidbit of advice with zero adverse effects.
Venting the fuel is a universal "cover your a$$" by the instruction writers. In many cases it's like chicken soup... doesn't do anything, but it can't hurt. Like the almost universal first instruction to disconnecting the battery, it's not always needed but it can save your butt. I changed my fuel filter about 1,600 miles ago. Yes, by habit I opened the filler cap first... not really needed because the motor and battery weren't installed at the time. It never hurts to reinforce a safety habit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Venting the fuel is a universal "cover your a$$" by the instruction writers. In many cases it's like chicken soup... doesn't do anything, but it can't hurt. Like the almost universal first instruction to disconnecting the battery, it's not always needed but it can save your butt. I changed my fuel filter about 1,600 miles ago. Yes, by habit I opened the filler cap first... not really needed because the motor and battery weren't installed at the time. It never hurts to reinforce a safety habit.
Makes sense, I'll open the cap from now on. Haynes was talking about some special equipment needed to relieve the pressure...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.