GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oh wise one, you do know that you are also in farm country don't you? There are ethanol plants in Michigan (5), Indiana, (14) and Ohio (7). In your rage you want to blame Iowa for your ethanol problems when ethanol is produced in your own area. I sense a level of misdirected irrational paranoia. But then, I only had Psychology in college as an elective course.

I don't do so, but I could laugh my back side off at others who spend a buck more for fuel than I do when they don't have to. But why? Just because I like to put the spur to others? Hardly.

It really doesn't matter what happened in the 1980's, just like it doesn't matter than I was involved in Viet Nam in the early 70's. We are talking about modern engines designed for flex fuel. Not telling everyone "how it was". I will not deny that fuel system components of 40 years ago were not designed with high percentages of ethanol in mind, and that folks with a non flex fuel vehicle should avoid running higher blends. And that your local fueling outlets did not have a grasp on the ethanol percentages in their gasoline is no justification to blame ethanol itself. Might as well call Canada a supporter of International Terrorism because a few knot heads who are managed to slip thru the border.

You have not shown any appreciable evidence yet, just rants, that conclusively show that using higher blends of ethanol in fuel is a detriment to modern fuel systems and engines made for it.

And given that folks out here in flyover country have been using various blends of ethanol/gasoline for many decades now, and there has not been the hue and cry that has gone up from the public over engine component failures that seemed to have plagued your area, even though the vehicles are the same, seems suggest the problem your area experienced is not the fault of the fuel itself, or even the vehicles. So what other factors would play into it then if the fuel or the vehicle doesn't seem to be the problem? Human error is the first factor that comes to mind.

And places like Brazil are running 100% ethanol in flex fuel Chevy vehicles and other imports and they are not blowing up and falling apart. Get the idea yet that your arguments are really not supported?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
You haven't been to southeastern Michigan. Our population in that small sector (50 miles out from downtown Detroit outward in an arc) exceeds the whole state of Iowa. No place even for a farmhouse or barn let alone any farm animals.

Next, we have no ethanol plants in this locale because of population density so your last 2 points are mute!!!

I have no rage with Iowa or any other state, ... my concern with the use of ethanol was pushed by some uneducated politicians and a few political activists for the farming industry that don't know chit about basic internal combustion.

I'm all for NGV being used, but not corn alcohol. We got better things to do with our corn.

Well since you want to talk about the present, why is their so many issues with rough idle, fuel pump failures, intake manifold problems if it ain't an issue today??? Blogs are all over the place with these ongoing problems and you think flex fuel motors can still handle this fuel??? That is why your still stuck in an Iowa corn field and have done nothing technical to solve the driveability problems we have today.

You made the statement: "You have not shown any appreciable evidence yet, just rants, that conclusively show that using higher blends of ethanol in fuel is a detriment to modern fuel systems and engines made for it." Sorry that is your "perceived interpretation" of what I stated. Haven't found it with other people. Must be a Iowa thing???

Then your next statement: "And places like Brazil are running 100% ethanol in flex fuel Chevy vehicles and other imports and they are not blowing up and falling apart." Well, better re-read your research again, ... because now I now you have zero capacity to understand "OPERATIVE'" words written in the English language. Your very good at deflections and breach logic comments but haven't "PROVED" any of your claims either. Almost to a level of "Failing to Disclose" by your verbiage.

For the third party readers to this blog: Here is what "ACTUALLY" goes on in Brazil with the use of ethanol. Lot different than the 100% claim!!! Hyperlink : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

When an American vehicle manufacturer designs and builds vehicles they design it to a particular countries vehicle regulations. So what goes on in Brazil is not what goes on in North America any more than what goes on in Iowa goes for the rest of North America. … Another deflection - breach logic statement.

Let's see how many people on this blog approve the use of E-85 for everyday use in their vehicles???
How many here have had fuel pump issues, fuel injector failures, intake manifold leak issues.
That is the real fact, not deflections and breach logic arguments from somebody out in the corn field of Iowa that never has done any complex fuel system diagnostics.

·
Registered
555 Posts
just because there is little farm ground between Detroit and Toledo, Michigan has a lot of farm country. I travel Michigan dozens of times a year. Pretty bad when an outsider knows more about another person's state than they do. And it really doesn't support your case that you know much about the topic at hand. Michigan ranks 13th in the nation for corn production and has 5 ethanol plants. It really doesn't matter that all of this is not on the I-75 corridor south of Detroit.

You don't like ethanol. We get that. I don't like Corvettes and AR15 rifles, I have no compulsion to rag on them or waste any time worrying about them. You don't like ethanol, then don't buy it! Simple solution, eh? Only 7 states mandate E10 and Michigan is not one of them!

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099149_state-laws-on-ethanol-in-gasoline-only-seven-states-require-e10-blend

Make you a deal.... I won't rag on Corvettes and AR15 rifles and you don't rag on ethanol. We all can rest easy.

Regarding Brazil I snipped a copy of information from this link......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

Most automobiles in Brazil run either on hydrous alcohol (E100) or on gasohol (E25 blend), as the mixture of 25% anhydrous ethanol with gasoline is mandatory in the entire country.[16] Since 2003, dual-fuel ethanol flex vehicles that run on any proportion of hydrous ethanol and gasoline have been gaining popularity. These have electronic sensors that detect the type of fuel and adjust the engine combustion to match, so users can choose the cheapest available fuel.[2] Sales of flex fuel vehicles reached 9.3 million by December 2009, representing 39% of the passenger vehicle fleet.[141] By mid-2010 there were 70 flex models available in the market[22] and production by December 2010 reached more than 12.5 million flex vehicles including more than 500 thousand flex fuel motorcycles

So it would seem yet again that it is a limited outrage on a few folk's part and you are just preaching to the small choir..

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If your vehicle is not a daily driver, sending them to witchhunter.com is a way to save money and get a report of as found and post cleaning flow.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Responding to the original post (and, I just reread the thread), the OP noticed the "wiggle" while the engine was warming up and it was just before reaching normal operating temps.
I wonder if it could at the time the PCM switches from open loop to closed loop.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts